The Student Room Group

2017 - Applying to cambridge with A2 results

I recently got my A2 results and they were A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Chemistry respectively. My GCSE's were not good at all achieving 1A* 4As 4Bs and a C. I want to apply to Cambridge (Economics) for 2017 entry however I cant find any information on candidates who apply with their results rather than predicted grades. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by BJA98
I recently got my A2 results and they were A*A*A in Maths, Economics and Chemistry respectively. My GCSE's were not good at all achieving 1A* 4As 4Bs and a C. I want to apply to Cambridge (Economics) for 2017 entry however I cant find any information on candidates who apply with their results rather than predicted grades. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

You just apply as normal in October via UCAS but with actual grades instead of predictions. What help do you need?

Have you read http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics in detail?

And be aware Economics is one of the most competitive courses at Cambridge and most successful post A-level applicants will exceed the typical offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BJA98

To add to what @jneill told you, I recommend you do FM during your gap year.
As jneill said, economics at Cambridge is extremely competitive AND very maths-heavy. So majority of successful applicants have FM under their belt.
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
You just apply as normal in October via UCAS but with actual grades instead of predictions. What help do you need?

Have you read http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/economics in detail?

And be aware Economics is one of the most competitive courses at Cambridge and most successful post A-level applicants will exceed the typical offer.

Thanks and Ive heard that applying with achieved grades gives you an advantage over candidates with predicted grades. Is this true?
Reply 4
Original post by vincrows
To add to what @jneill told you, I recommend you do FM during your gap year.
As jneill said, economics at Cambridge is extremely competitive AND very maths-heavy. So majority of successful applicants have FM under their belt.

Well I have a place at Manchester Uni to study maths this september so will studying maths at degree level for one year be equivalent to further maths? Thanks for your advice too
Original post by BJA98
Well I have a place at Manchester Uni to study maths this september so will studying maths at degree level for one year be equivalent to further maths? Thanks for your advice too

So you're applying to Cambridge while you're still at another university on the same course? I *think* Cambridge doesnt like that very much as they don't want poaching a student from other university. That's why they very rarely accept transfer from another uni.
Applying to re-start from the first year might be different but you may have to leave Manchester before applying. I know they don't mind if it's for a different course, but if it's for a same course can be an issue.

Not 100% sure about this, so I'll tag @jneill to confirm/correct it.

Edit:
Notification system of the forum is broken at the moment, apparently, so it may take a while until he comes here.......or hopefully he notices this during his regular patrolling. :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
So you're applying to Cambridge while you're still at another university on the same course? I *think* Cambridge doesnt like that very much as they don't want poaching a student from other university. That's why they very rarely accept transfer from another uni.
Applying to re-start from the first year might be different but you may have to leave Manchester before applying. I know they don't mind if it's for a different course, but if it's for a same course can be an issue.

Edit:
Notification system of the forum is broken at the moment, apparently, so it may take a while until he comes here.......or hopefully he notices this during his regular patrolling. :wink:

Well If I do get into Cambridge I hope to start from year 1 and the degree would be economics where as at Manchester ill start studying Maths from year 1 this September. So not a transfer, but just starting year 1 again at Cambridge for a different course. I hope that makes sense. You are very informative and quick, thankyou.
Original post by BJA98
Well If I do get into Cambridge I hope to start from year 1 and the degree would be economics where as at Manchester ill start studying Maths from year 1 this September. So not a transfer, but just starting year 1 again at Cambridge for a different course. I hope that makes sense. You are very informative and quick, thankyou.

Right, ok, sorry, bit confused about the courses. :tongue:

In that case, it should be probably fine, but you may want to post the question to one of their admission tutor's thread in this forum. (link below)
He's on a short holiday over Bank Holiday and the thread is closed temporarily until he comes back early next week, but he's one of the most experienced admission tutors at Cambridge, so I'm sure he;ll be able to answer your questions, including the thing about Maths@Manchester & FM.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242
Reply 8
Original post by BJA98

Possibly... see below.

They definitely don't encourage it, but this may be one of those circumstances when it might be ok. But see below :smile:

Original post by BJA98

Yes, you would have to start in Year 1.

So... best thing is as per @vincrows advice to ask the CAT in his thread on Tuesday.

Note, you will only have been at UoM for a month before you apply to Cambridge so it may be tricky getting a "glowing" reference from them. But that's the risk you take.

BUT why change from Maths to Economics at this stage? How can you reassure Cambridge that Economics is truly what you are passionate about now? (Rhetorical question, but you get the idea, I'm sure).

I think it might be tricky but the CAT will give you good advice. Give him full details of your academic profile (module-by-module UMS, etc). so he has plenty of info to work with.

Good luck!
Original post by jneill
Possibly... see below.

They definitely don't encourage it, but this may be one of those circumstances when it might be ok. But see below :smile:

So... best thing is as per @vincrows advice to ask the CAT in his thread on Tuesday.

Note, you will only have been at UoM for a month before you apply to Cambridge so it may be tricky getting a "glowing" reference from them. But that's the risk you take.

BUT why change from Maths to Economics at this stage? How can you reassure Cambridge that Economics is truly what you are passionate about now? (Rhetorical question, but you get the idea, I'm sure).

I think it might be tricky but the CAT will give you good advice. Give him full details of your academic profile (module-by-module UMS, etc). so he has plenty of info to work with.

Good luck!

Thanks, Thunderbird, :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Possibly... see below.

Good luck!

Thanks alot for your help :smile:
Reply 11
Right, ok, sorry, bit confused about the courses. :tongue:

In that case, it should be probably fine, but you may want to post the question to one of their admission tutor's thread in this forum. (link below)
He's on a short holiday over Bank Holiday and the thread is closed temporarily until he comes back early next week, but he's one of the most experienced admission tutors at Cambridge, so I'm sure he;ll be able to answer your questions, including the thing about Maths@Manchester & FM.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242

Thankyou for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending