Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I decided a couple of months ago i would like to learn a new language and I've always like Germany and preferred it at school to other languages.

I'm using duolingo which is ok but has its limitations and bought myself a German book to work through (living german) and have a gf with a degree in it (although her attention span and willingness to teach me is somewhat lacking).

One thing im struggling to find is activities where I can practice translating from English to German. Does anyone know where I can find these?

The activities I currently do involve translating from German to English, translating single words/ very small phrases into German, speaking & listening exercises. What I would like is to be giving full sentences to translate into German, individual words are fine but it's putting those into a sentence that is grammatically correct that I need to practice.

Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    Hi everyone

I decided a couple of months ago i would like to learn a new language and I've always like Germany and preferred it at school to other languages.

I'm using duolingo which is ok but has its limitations and bought myself a German book to work through (living german) and have a gf with a degree in it (although her attention span and willingness to teach me is somewhat lacking).

One thing im struggling to find is activities where I can practice translating from English to German. Does anyone know where I can find these?

The activities I currently do involve translating from German to English, translating single words/ very small phrases into German, speaking & listening exercises. What I would like is to be giving full sentences to translate into German, individual words are fine but it's putting those into a sentence that is grammatically correct that I need to practice.

Can anyone help?
    Why the heavy emphasis on translating may I ask? If you haven't already heard of Michel Thomas, I'd recommend giving him a try if you're more into the translation side of things. I think it's a good listening and speaking course in general for beginners and confidence building, but the general task is to translate from English to the target language (he has courses in French, Spanish, Polish as well as German).

Otherwise, I don't know of any other translation tools besides translating random texts from English into German, and uploading both texts as comparisons (the original English, and your attempt in German) on lang-8.com for native German speakers to correct.

I would just highly suggest sticking away from basing your whole studies on translation...

ReputationRep:
    If you could maybe watch some German films with English subtitles it'll give you some good German phrases which sound more natural. I would suggest to start off with English films or to shows like Deutschland 83 in German and then move onto actual German films like the Edukators (definitely watch this!) or F*** u Goethe (a good modern film) also if you can find any people who live in Germany like a penpal or something it's a really good way to improve your German. It's really nice you've decided to take up a new language. Germany is a beautiful country with a fantastic history and culture

Inexorably
    Student403

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

Can anyone help?
    The PERFECT app for you is called 'Translate' search it on the app store. It's by google. You focus your camera on any text and it translates it immediately to your chosen langauge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    Inexorably
    Student403
    Fml mentions don't work as well? Eugh. Thanks for thinkin of me though.

Will post in a sec.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why you're focused so much on translation? I do not know many sites (except Duolingo's feature) where you can do such a thing and the reason I don't is because translation is not the same thing as learning to communicate in another language. By all means if you want to pursue translation you can and you'll need to improve that by reading lots of bilingual books/texts as well as watching films with subtitles in a different language and using lang-8.com to write translations and have them marked, but if your aim is to learn the language I'd not recommend such a focus on translation.

What do you feel like you're lacking in performance-wise in German - aka why do you feel translation is the answer?

(Original post by Inexorably)
    Fml mentions don't work as well? Eugh. Thanks for thinkin of me though.

Will post in a sec.
    They don't as well ?? I didn't know :sigh: TSR is ****ed up these days xD

And YW

ReputationRep:
    So I've probably not been very clear in what I was asking (I was meant to be working at the time).

Basically Im struggling to find exercises where I put German sentences together.

Duolingo for example does a load of exercises where you are given a German sentence and you have to write what it means in English. It does it the other way round where you are given an English sentence and you have to write the German but these aren't as common but I think this is what I need more practice on.

If I wanted to say something in German I think I'd get roughly the right words but in the wrong order so i really need to practice constructing sentences. As I'm selfteaching I could do with finding an exercise that gives me an English phrase followed by the German answer so I can check it is along the right lines.

I am doing other exercises to help me learn so I'm not focused purely on translating English to German it's just I've found these are the hardest exercises to find

Does this make sense? (Any other advice on how to self teach would be much appreciated)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    May I ask why you're focused so much on translation? I do not know many sites (except Duolingo's feature) where you can do such a thing and the reason I don't is because translation is not the same thing as learning to communicate in another language. By all means if you want to pursue translation you can and you'll need to improve that by reading lots of bilingual books/texts as well as watching films with subtitles in a different language and using lang-8.com to write translations and have them marked, but if your aim is to learn the language I'd not recommend such a focus on translation.

What do you feel like you're lacking in performance-wise in German - aka why do you feel translation is the answer?
    Hi, thanks for replying.

I've probably confused things a bit by saying translation.

Basically I need more practice constructing setences. At the moment I have loads of vocabulary and I know of (but rarely use) a few grammar rules but would struggle putting a sentence together.

What I think I need is a load of exercises which give me a phrase e.g. today I am going for a walk - I write the German and it marks my answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    Inexorably
    Student403
    just came across this thread and apparently the mention didn't work ty though!
    https://yourdailygerman.com/
    http://lyricstraining.com/de

^ couple of good websites

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for replying.

I've probably confused things a bit by saying translation.

Basically I need more practice constructing setences. At the moment I have loads of vocabulary and I know of (but rarely use) a few grammar rules but would struggle putting a sentence together.

What I think I need is a load of exercises which give me a phrase e.g. today I am going for a walk - I write the German and it marks my answer.
    The only resources I would know for that are Duolingo and a Memrise course that uses phrases rather than single words.

To improve ability to form sentences, just practice and have your work marked on lang-8.com. Expose yourself to actual sentences in a real world context - e.g. in newspapers, TV shows, songs, on clozemaster, in books - and just manipulate the corresponding words that you need.

As mentioned, lyricstraining is also a good way for this but it's more about listening to a song and filling in the gaps.

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to learn it for many years. However, it didn't give any results. I was asked to write a review in German and being afraid of a complete failure I ordered the review on PaperHelp.org and I don't regret about it till now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.