Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could someone explain to me what cash-back is? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what it is, and I'm not really understanding what Google results are saying either... How do shops benefit from it? From what I understand it kinda seems like the shops are giving away free products?

I must seem so stupid right now, so apologies in advance lool
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Bondioz)
    I have no idea what it is, and I'm not really understanding what Google results are saying either... How do shops benefit from it? From what I understand it kinda seems like the shops are giving away free products?

I think shops getting money for offering the service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I think shops getting money for offering the service.
    I'm looking to buy a camera and the guy in the shop said that i could possibly get £40 off through cashback... I really don't understand why

ReputationRep:

There are 2 main types.

1) debit/credit card cashback.
    In exchange for signing up with the relevant bank they will offer you a perk or bonus for your custom for instance TSB give 5% cashback on contactless card payments up to £100 a month.
    This may make someone consider there account over say hsbc so the give me £5 back if I meet all the conditions but they get me as a customer.

2) cashback websites
    Websites such as TOPCASHBACK encourage members to shop with a certain website in exchange for cashback.
    Example I bought a laptop from a company called novatech and got 5% cashback which was around £20.
    Novatech gives topcashback 10% of the sale price for directing a customer to them and they give me 5% of this payment.

It's all about attracting your custom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    There are 2 main types.

1) debit/credit card cashback.
    In exchange for signing up with the relevant bank they will offer you a perk or bonus for your custom for instance TSB give 5% cashback on contactless card payments up to £100 a month.
    This may make someone consider there account over say hsbc so the give me £5 back if I meet all the conditions but they get me as a customer.

2) cashback websites
    Websites such as TOPCASHBACK encourage members to shop with a certain website in exchange for cashback.
    Example I bought a laptop from a company called novatech and got 5% cashback which was around £20.
    Novatech gives topcashback 10% of the sale price for directing a customer to them and they give me 5% of this payment.

It's all about attracting your custom
    Thank youuu sooo much this helped a lot!

ReputationRep:
    The other type of cashback is just taking. Money out at the till like at a cashpoint
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm looking to buy a camera and the guy in the shop said that i could possibly get £40 off through cashback... I really don't understand why
    Oh sorry, it means you can get £40 back on the purchase.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.