Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering Plymouth uni for 2017, just asking a few questions.

1. What is it like living in halls? And is it relatively easy to secure yourself accom?

2. What is the nightlife like?

3. What are the locals like? I.e. I've heard it can be a bit chavvy

4. Is the uni within walking distance of everything you need? I.e. food, clothes, doctors etc.

5. If i were to take my car whilst living in halls, will it be pretty secure and not bumped/vandalised by drunks? Is it expensive to keep your car there?

6. Accom for second/third year, are there plenty of choices within walking distance of the uni?

7. Does the uni have a gym with decent equipment and free weights?

Thanks in advance for any replies, will rep (not that that means anything lol)

ReputationRep:
    1. It's pretty nice. All depends on which halls you get into as there are some which are very nice, some which aren't so nice and plenty that are inbetween those two extremes. It's easy to get into halls though

2. Pretty good. There's plenty of clubs, bars, restaurants, takeaways and there's also the SU on campus

3. I didn't notice anything out of the usual with locals.

4. Yes, from the centre of campus to the town centre takes like 10 minutes, possibly less. There is a pharmacy, a few shops, few cafe's, a bar/club/restaurant and sports facilities all on campus

5. I don't know anyone who takes a car to uni, it's pretty unusual

6. Yes, there is a lot of accommodation around the campus, whether that be flats, houses, privately ran housing etc

7. Yes, there is also a few other gyms within a few minutes walk, they're probably cheaper
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there ALittleLost25,

Hope we can help with a few of your questions

1. What is it like living in halls? And is it relatively easyto secure yourself accom?
    If you select Plymouth as your firm first choice and apply for accommodation before July 1st you're guaranteed a place in halls, so it'spretty easy to get that sorted and get some peace of mind. We have halls on campus and dotted around the city, but all within walking distance of the university campus itself. Halls are lots of fun and great springboard to get acquainted with the city and campus, it's also an excellent way to make new friends! AtChristmas time for example loads of students have flat Christmas meals before they all go home for the holidays, their room mates become like another family

2. What is the nightlife like?
    There is a little something for everyone across the city, our SU had a huge revamp in the last few years, it looks amazing inside and hasvery regular and varied events! There is also Plymouth Pavilions for large gigs and there's a mix of independent music venues across the city for more up and coming and local music, the Barbican is a beautiful night spot and pretty much always has some sort of live music on. Asides from that we have a very vibrant strip of student night clubs on North Hill, usually always packed with different dj’s and then in themain city centre the usual big clubs you get in most cities.

3. What are the locals like? I.e. I've heard it can be a bit chavvy
    The locals are lovely! A mixed bunch as with any city but there’s a lot of pride in Plymouth with loads of independent business start-ups, art galleries, bakers, crafters, magazines and papers and loads more. The locals are proud of where they come from and really help add vibrancy to the city. Plus the local lingo is great (as are the pasties…)

4. Is the uni within walking distance of everything you need?I.e. food, clothes, doctors etc.?
    If you ask most students or even people who live in Plymouth to give examples of some of the great things about the city they will usuallymention the fact that anything you need you can walk to get. You really don’t need a car to survive here, most things are only 10/15 minutes away, 25 minutes is practically an expedition! If you do need to get around by bus too day riders are pretty cheap compared to other cities and the service is very good!

5. If i were to take my car whilst living in halls, will it be pretty secure and not bumped/vandalised by drunks? Is it expensive to keepyour car there?
    There is very limited car parking with halls; we only have 60 parking spaces for all of our halls of residence. Students who are allocated aUniversity managed hall room can enter a parking lottery. Parking costs £270 for the period from October - June. Alternately there are parking permits for areas (the city is separated into zones, so you can get a parking permit for zone j for example). If you don’t mind walking around 10/15 minutes out of the direction of the city centre there are snippets on streets of non-permit parking where you could put your car. Some restrictions only apply at certain times of day too so you can park overnight in some places and so on. As I said before, you don’t need a car to get around the city or to and from uni so it wouldn’t be essential! Lots of student’s don’t bringtheir cars with them during term time. Likewise though I have parked all over the city at all times of day and night (I got a car in third year) and my car has always been safeand unscathed! Plymouth is a very safe city.

6. Accom for second/third year, are there plenty of choices within walking distance of the uni?
    In short, yes- heaps! Plymouth University has a website called Mystudentpad and you can find accredited accommodation for second and third year there.

7. Does the uni have a gym with decent equipment and free weights?
    Yep- we have the Nancy Astor Sports Centre on campus and there are loads of classes you can join as well as the gym facilities themselves. The membership prices are very pleasing to the pocket too!

Hope that helps a little, if there’s anything else please don’t hesitate to give us a shout!

Georgia & Adam
    (and the rest of the Plymouth University Campaigns Team)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Plymouth University resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.