Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got my GCSE results today and I got 8a*s, 2as and 2bs (maybe 1 b because I'm getting my english lit remarked and I was only 2 marks off an a).

Are these good enough for Cambridge, I know that the average applicant has 8a*s but will the bs bring me down or am I being paranoid?

ReputationRep:
    paranoid lol I got 10A*S

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is good enough for any course at Cambridge. I know two people who got into Cambridge with only 4 A*s

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Cambridge care less about GCSEs than Oxford
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Brace ureself TSR
    thousands of threads like this will follow
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by sammychu00)
    I just got my GCSE results today and I got 8a*s, 2as and 2bs (maybe 1 b because I'm getting my english lit remarked and I was only 2 marks off an a).

Are these good enough for Cambridge, I know that the average applicant has 8a*s but will the bs bring me down or am I being paranoid?
    Actually the average applicant has fewer than 8A*s.

At this stage you are fine

ReputationRep:
    I thought the average was 7. Or was that Oxford..
    Anyway obviously they're fine

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be worried about my grades if I went to a state school, but I go to a private school where everyone does well at GCSEs so will my results not look bad compared to everyone in my year?

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm thinking of applying Cambridge instead of Oxford. :/
    1a^, 6a* and 4a
    Gonna work my socks of next year.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Cambridge says (with my highlights in bold):

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...irements-facts

"GCSEs

With the exception of those for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine (grade C or above in GCSE Double Award Science and Mathematics), there are no GCSE requirements for entry to Cambridge. Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE. However, there are always exceptions and one of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the school/college performance and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammychu00)
    I wouldn't be worried about my grades if I went to a state school, but I go to a private school where everyone does well at GCSEs so will my results not look bad compared to everyone in my year?
    Well, in that case it might. If it's a sort of school majority of students get 9-10 A* and mostly As in other subjects, it may not look too good.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    my daughter went to a quite competitive private school, and all the successful oxbridge applicants I know had at least 9-10+ A* and no B or lower. So I know the standard Cambridge expects from those school may be a bit different from that of other state/less-competitive schools. .

However, if you get respectable enough grades in AS, that will easily make up for it. And they will consider upward trajectory from GCSEs to A-level is A good thing.

So, don't worry too much now, and start working even harder for a-level exams.

ReputationRep:
    They are fine. Not the best, but far from the worst.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.