Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I received my as results last Thursday and was a bit disappointed with my Chem and bio results. Today I had a meeting with my head of yr (My psych and Socio teacher) and she said I don't have to resit yr 12 but instead drop bio and Chem and take up another subject and do it in a year so I was thinking of History or English Language (I don't think I can do Eng Lit in 1 yr even though I want to!!). Back in yr 12 I was actually going to take History but changed my mind last minute. I had an A in my History GCSE and was 1/2 ums off an A* in my coursework (Russia). I really enjoyed History and I really regret not taking it in the first place. But I am feeling really ready to put in the work this year. I'm looking forward to do a Psychology joint honours degree at uni (psych and Socio). What do you guys think about this? Shall I go ahead with it?

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to be doing an AS and A2 in 1 year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Are you going to be doing an AS and A2 in 1 year?
    Yes. There's 2 exams and 1 coursework unit. The exams were meant to be done in yr 12 and coursework unit in yr 13. But I'll have to manage it in a year I guess.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by GreatSuccess24)
    Yes. There's 2 exams and 1 coursework unit. The exams were meant to be done in yr 12 and coursework unit in yr 13. But I'll have to manage it in a year I guess.
    English Lang coursework is around 2500-3000 words whilst History is around 3000-4000 words. So maybe you should consider this?

If you like History, then go for it, but remember, the History A-level requires students to study at least 200 years worth of History of two years. Can you manage this in one year though? It sounds like a lot of pressure, on top of your other A-levels.

English Language you might find easier because it's similar to Psych (learning about how children learn to talk and write) and Socio (learning about accents/dialects, sexuality and etc; how language relates to all these things). So you might be able to get to grips with linguistic concepts much quicker and find it easier to learn/remember things.

Look at both syllabi and pick which one you prefer over all really. I did both subjects at AS-level, hated History :P

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    English Lang coursework is around 2500-3000 words whilst History is around 3000-4000 words. So maybe you should consider this?

If you like History, then go for it, but remember, the History A-level requires students to study at least 200 years worth of History of two years. Can you manage this in one year though? It sounds like a lot of pressure, on top of your other A-levels.

English Language you might find easier because it's similar to Psych (learning about how children learn to talk and write) and Socio (learning about accents/dialects, sexuality and etc; how language relates to all these things). So you might be able to get to grips with linguistic concepts much quicker and find it easier to learn/remember things.

Look at both syllabi and pick which one you prefer over all really. I did both subjects at AS-level, hated History :P

Good luck!
    Hi

Thanks for the heads up. I knew that the coursework for History will be long and I've checked the specification as well but I didn't know that I'll have to study 200 yrs worth of History. I guess I am not being realistic then. So I'll have to think about my other option again which is retaking yr 12. My school won't allow me to retake the sciences. But now I'm stuck about whether I want to take Chem again but my parents have told me that they will arrange a tutor for me. But I'm definitely taking psychology and biology.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by GreatSuccess24)
    Hi

Thanks for the heads up. I knew that the coursework for History will be long and I've checked the specification as well but I didn't know that I'll have to study 200 yrs worth of History. I guess I am not being realistic then. So I'll have to think about my other option again which is retaking yr 12. My school won't allow me to retake the sciences. But now I'm stuck about whether I want to take Chem again but my parents have told me that they will arrange a tutor for me. But I'm definitely taking psychology and biology.
    Yeah, it's usually 100 years in the first year or so, then another 100 years in the 2nd year on one topic only.

Where will go if your sixth form doesn't allow you to retake the sciences?

Well that's good that your parents are being really supportive hon, but sometimes tutors don't work.

What other A-level could you do in one year that seems of interest to you? Do you have any ideas what you want to study at uni (if you plan on going)?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.