The Student Room Group

I don't need to resit yr 12!!

So I received my as results last Thursday and was a bit disappointed with my Chem and bio results. Today I had a meeting with my head of yr (My psych and Socio teacher) and she said I don't have to resit yr 12 but instead drop bio and Chem and take up another subject and do it in a year so I was thinking of History or English Language (I don't think I can do Eng Lit in 1 yr even though I want to!!). Back in yr 12 I was actually going to take History but changed my mind last minute. I had an A in my History GCSE and was 1/2 ums off an A* in my coursework (Russia). I really enjoyed History and I really regret not taking it in the first place. But I am feeling really ready to put in the work this year. I'm looking forward to do a Psychology joint honours degree at uni (psych and Socio). What do you guys think about this? Shall I go ahead with it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you going to be doing an AS and A2 in 1 year?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Are you going to be doing an AS and A2 in 1 year?

Yes. There's 2 exams and 1 coursework unit. The exams were meant to be done in yr 12 and coursework unit in yr 13. But I'll have to manage it in a year I guess.
Original post by GreatSuccess24
Yes. There's 2 exams and 1 coursework unit. The exams were meant to be done in yr 12 and coursework unit in yr 13. But I'll have to manage it in a year I guess.

English Lang coursework is around 2500-3000 words whilst History is around 3000-4000 words. So maybe you should consider this?

If you like History, then go for it, but remember, the History A-level requires students to study at least 200 years worth of History of two years. Can you manage this in one year though? It sounds like a lot of pressure, on top of your other A-levels.

English Language you might find easier because it's similar to Psych (learning about how children learn to talk and write) and Socio (learning about accents/dialects, sexuality and etc; how language relates to all these things). So you might be able to get to grips with linguistic concepts much quicker and find it easier to learn/remember things.

Look at both syllabi and pick which one you prefer over all really. I did both subjects at AS-level, hated History :P

Good luck!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
English Lang coursework is around 2500-3000 words whilst History is around 3000-4000 words. So maybe you should consider this?

If you like History, then go for it, but remember, the History A-level requires students to study at least 200 years worth of History of two years. Can you manage this in one year though? It sounds like a lot of pressure, on top of your other A-levels.

English Language you might find easier because it's similar to Psych (learning about how children learn to talk and write) and Socio (learning about accents/dialects, sexuality and etc; how language relates to all these things). So you might be able to get to grips with linguistic concepts much quicker and find it easier to learn/remember things.

Look at both syllabi and pick which one you prefer over all really. I did both subjects at AS-level, hated History :P

Good luck!

Hi :smile:

Thanks for the heads up. I knew that the coursework for History will be long and I've checked the specification as well but I didn't know that I'll have to study 200 yrs worth of History. I guess I am not being realistic then. So I'll have to think about my other option again which is retaking yr 12. My school won't allow me to retake the sciences. But now I'm stuck about whether I want to take Chem again but my parents have told me that they will arrange a tutor for me. But I'm definitely taking psychology and biology.
Original post by GreatSuccess24
Hi :smile:

Thanks for the heads up. I knew that the coursework for History will be long and I've checked the specification as well but I didn't know that I'll have to study 200 yrs worth of History. I guess I am not being realistic then. So I'll have to think about my other option again which is retaking yr 12. My school won't allow me to retake the sciences. But now I'm stuck about whether I want to take Chem again but my parents have told me that they will arrange a tutor for me. But I'm definitely taking psychology and biology.

Yeah, it's usually 100 years in the first year or so, then another 100 years in the 2nd year on one topic only.

Where will go if your sixth form doesn't allow you to retake the sciences?

Well that's good that your parents are being really supportive hon, but sometimes tutors don't work.

What other A-level could you do in one year that seems of interest to you? Do you have any ideas what you want to study at uni (if you plan on going)?

Quick Reply

Latest