Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i have 5 A'S and 6b's at gcse and the B's include core science, further additonal science and addition science, french, history, statistic
    i am predicted 2A* in chemistry and maths and A in biology
    i am taking gap year and will do alot of work experience
    can i get into med school in uk and if so which one's should i apply to according to my strengths
    any medical school student advice will really help. thank you

ReputationRep:
    Your results will be lower than the average applicant, meaning the other parts of your application will have to be good to make up for it. Focus on your A-levels, work experience and UKCAT and apply to uni's which place less weight on GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Your results will be lower than the average applicant, meaning the other parts of your application will have to be good to make up for it. Focus on your A-levels, work experience and UKCAT and apply to uni's which place less weight on GCSE's
    are you sure i have a chance, my teachers say otherwise. they are discouraging me. and can you please let me know if you know any uk medical school that focus less on gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alisha4783)
    are you sure i have a chance, my teachers say otherwise. they are discouraging me. and can you please let me know if you know any uk medical school that focus less on gcse
    It wont hurt to give it a try, no one can say for sure whether you got a chance (after all you might get lucky). I think you have to avoid Birmingham, not sure about some others.
    Also are you applying this year, or waiting to apply after gap year? It would make sense for you to at least try apply this year too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yammy)
    It wont hurt to give it a try, no one can say for sure whether you got a chance (after all you might get lucky). I think you have to avoid Birmingham, not sure about some others.
    Also are you applying this year, or waiting to apply after gap year? It would make sense for you to at least try apply this year too.
    i am applying this year to take a chance but will do again next year as well
    by the way can you tell me some alternative to medicine. i dont like the idea of psychology or biomedical science or a nurse

also can any med student tell me their gcse grade or the lowest they have seen get into medical school in uk/scotland
    and a list of uni that have low entry requirement for gcse in uk or scotland would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Firstly when it comes to medicine applications, ignore teachers. They are usually wrong or give incorrect/outdated advice. Secondly there are some uni's which only use GCSE's as minimum requirements and after that they hold little weight. Finally if you were to get straight As, a top UKCAT score and a solid personal statement then you wold have a good chance as long as you apply to the right uni's for you.
    My advice is to get some work experience and voluntary work, focus on your A-levels and don't worry about medicine for now.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly when it comes to medicine applications, ignore teachers. They are usually wrong or give incorrect/outdated advice. Secondly there are some uni's which only use GCSE's as minimum requirements and after that they hold little weight. Finally if you were to get straight As, a top UKCAT score and a solid personal statement then you wold have a good chance as long as you apply to the right uni's for you.
    My advice is to get some work experience and voluntary work, focus on your A-levels and don't worry about medicine for now.
    thanks for the advice but do you know any uni in england or scotland with low gcse requirements

ReputationRep:
    i am applying this year to take a chance but will do again next year as well
    by the way can you tell me some alternative to medicine. i dont like the idea of psychology or biomedical science or a nurse

also can any med student tell me their gcse grade or the lowest they have seen get into medical school in uk/scotland
    and a list of uni that have low entry requirement for gcse in uk or scotland would be appreciated
    What is your reason of trying to do medicine? If you don't like psycholoy/biomed then alternatives could be any humanities/STEM degree that you like/want - which can lead you to other graduate jobs.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice but do you know any uni in england or scotland with low gcse requirements
    You'd have to go individually through each uni's admissions policy. I can telly you definitely to avoid Oxford, Cardiff, Bham, QUB and Edinburgh as you need many A*s for those.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to go individually through each uni's admissions policy. I can telly you definitely to avoid Oxford, Cardiff, Bham, QUB and Edinburgh as you need many A*s for those.
    thank you i will keep in mind

ReputationRep:
    thank you i will keep in mind
    https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...omparisontool/
    try using this

ReputationRep:
    it helped but it says edinburgh requires b for gcses at minimnum not a* but someone said edinburgh has A* REQUIREMENT FOR GCSE

ReputationRep:
    it helped but it says edinburgh requires b for gcses at minimnum not a* but someone said edinburgh has A* REQUIREMENT FOR GCSE
    The other person is right, those are just the minimum requirements. Check individual websites for statistics eg
    Edinburgh says:
    "The average A level applicant is offering 6A* at GCSE and the top one third (around 350) between 8 and 11 A*."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yammy)
    The other person is right, those are just the minimum requirements. Check individual websites for statistics eg
    Edinburgh says:
    "The average A level applicant is offering 6A* at GCSE and the top one third (around 350) between 8 and 11 A*."
    oh ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    i have 5 A'S and 6b's at gcse and the B's include core science, further additonal science and addition science, french, history, statistic
    i am predicted 2A* in chemistry and maths and A in biology
    i am taking gap year and will do alot of work experience
    can i get into med school in uk and if so which one's should i apply to according to my strengths
    any medical school student advice will really help. thank you
    How can you be predicted a* in chemistry when you didn't even get an a* at gcse?? Wtf 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaska)
    How can you be predicted a* in chemistry when you didn't even get an a* at gcse?? Wtf 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i have improved in it and in chemistry gcse i had an A but since it was P1,B1,C1 together i got an avergae B as my physics grade was low

ReputationRep:
    do you think glassgow is okay. i cant find their gcse requirement on the website but in student room it says b in english and maths and will applying as a deffered give me more chances than applying normally

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.