Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've decided that I'm going to apply for English at university, I've looked around at what unis I can apply for and I'll be applying for English and French for my aspirational university. I've been talking about why I want to do English at uni and I've mentioned that I've read French literature and been to France.

Should I mention anything else and is there anything I should avoid doing completely?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    So I've decided that I'm going to apply for English at university, I've looked around at what unis I can apply for and I'll be applying for English and French for my aspirational university. I've been talking about why I want to do English at uni and I've mentioned that I've read French literature and been to France.

Should I mention anything else and is there anything I should avoid doing completely?
    So you're going for 4 english choices and 1 english and french? Why not 5 english and french instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    So you're going for 4 english choices and 1 english and french? Why not 5 english and french instead?
    Mainly because the other unis I've looked at don't offer French from scratch. They require an A level in French.

The other choice is English and American Studies but that doesn't appeal to me too much.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Mainly because the other unis I've looked at don't offer French from scratch. They require an A level in French.
    Ah that's understandable, try and keep the focus more on english but discussing french literature seems like a good idea for that side of it

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's understandable, try and keep the focus more on english but discussing french literature seems like a good idea for that side of it
    My situation is a little bit confusing. I'm doing 2 A2s and 1 AS next month (I've already got my A2 in English and I got a B in that) and hopefully I'll do AS French since I did it at GCSE.

I've mentioned French Lit but I shouldn't be too heavy because I'll be applying for English at the other unis right?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    My situation is a little bit confusing. I'm doing 2 A2s and 1 AS next month (I've already got my A2 in English and I got a B in that) and hopefully I'll do AS French since I did it at GCSE.

I've mentioned French Lit but I shouldn't be too heavy because I'll be applying for English at the other unis right?
    Yes exactly Ah I see, having the english grade already could play in your favour actually

ReputationRep:
    Yes exactly Ah I see, having the english grade already could play in your favour actually
    How could it? I'm curious
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    How could it? I'm curious
    Well it's not a predicted grade so you've already proven that you're good at english so they could look more favourably at your application.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not a predicted grade so you've already proven that you're good at english so they could look more favourably at your application.
    The uni I wanted to go to wanted an A in English but I didn't get that. So I have to go for my backup aspirational uni.

Should I apply for the uni that wanted an A or nah?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    The uni I wanted to go to wanted an A in English but I didn't get that. So I have to go for my backup aspirational uni.

Should I apply for the uni that wanted an A or nah?
    Ah I see.I would say nah i m afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see.I would say nah i m afraid.
    I thought so.. I made another thread because I'm currently torn between English and Anthro (can you please take a look? I'm rooting towards English atm)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.