Turn on thread page Beta

The Best Internet Security Software watch

ReputationRep:
    I saw that McAfee Internet Security 6 for £30 it included Antivirus software, spam killers, pop up killers, firewall, and maybe something else, i think this is good because it comes with everything you need.

What software do you suggest i get? I mainly need antivirus + pop up killer.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    I saw that McAfee Internet Security 6 for £30 it included Antivirus software, spam killers, pop up killers, firewall, and maybe something else, i think this is good because it comes with everything you need.

Thanks
    Kaspersky AntiVirus seems to get good reviews (esp. Computer Shopper), but hardly anyone seems to have heard of it. Its supposed to be much more thorough and stable than Norton.

ReputationRep:
    iptables.

ReputationRep:
    zonealarm

ReputationRep:
    ZoneLabs - ZoneAlarm Pro

Edit: Sorry I didn't read the question properly...Norton is good for antivirus...ZoneAlarm is a good firewall.

ReputationRep:
    The Best Internet Security Software
    Common Sense, Anti virus software, Ad-aware (www.lavasoft.de), symantec/norton firewall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Kaspersky AntiVirus seems to get good reviews (esp. Computer Shopper), but hardly anyone seems to have heard of it. Its supposed to be much more thorough and stable than Norton.
    I use Kaspersky, it's good. It has (optional) an scream sound effect when it finds a virus . And it's Russian, and they should know what they're on about with the number of dodgy things that come from Russia. And they use British English rather than American... always a plus. I've also heard that Norton is crap.

For a pop-up blocker, I just have Google Toolbar which I can't live without now (http://toolbar.google.com). Also, to stop things from outside, I just have a hardware router whose NAT seems to tell most things where to go. Much faster than Zonealarm, which is a pain in the ass.

ReputationRep:
    When I (finally) get my laptop in a couple of weeks, I will immediately uninstall Norton Anti-VIrus 2004 which comes with it as it is horrible, horrible, horrible bloatware (in other words, has loads of "features" which eat up system resources and slow down your computer).

Instead I will install F-Secure Anti-Virus 2004 to look after the anti-virus side of things, and ZoneAlarm Pro (the paid version includes many nice additions) as a firewall. Both these programs are nice, simple, straight-to-the-task applications that run in the background with minimal interference. Most importantly (apart from stopping viruses) they dont eat up system resources.

I was going to go for Kaspersky, but I hear it is very aggressive and resource demanding - though its much better than NAC or McAffee.

ReputationRep:
    When I (finally) get my laptop in a couple of weeks, I will immediately uninstall Norton Anti-VIrus 2004 which comes with it as it is horrible, horrible, horrible bloatware (in other words, has loads of "features" which eat up system resources and slow down your computer).
    Heheh, if I got a laptop filled with as much crap as that I'd just totally reformat the thing and put fresh Windows XP on. Well, probably with all the OEM crap that came with it of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Heheh, if I got a laptop filled with as much crap as that I'd just totally reformat the thing and put fresh Windows XP on. Well, probably with all the OEM crap that came with it of course.
    That sounds like a good idea actually. Maybe I should reformat it as soon as I get it and then just put the software on that I want. Thanks!!

However, come to think of it, I'd be scared to death of reformatting it, then something going wrong and being unable to switch it on again. That'd be £1300 down the drain!

ReputationRep:
    just dont get norton. end of.

(such a resource eater gaaargh)

ReputationRep:
    However, come to think of it, I'd be scared to death of reformatting it, then something going wrong and being unable to switch it on again. That'd be £1300 down the drain!
    Lol, nah that'd never happen, you can always start up off a CD or something.

Only thing you have to watch is that some dodgy laptops and that have the install data on a hidden partition or something on the hard drive so they don't have to worry about producing lots of CDs to give you and instead you just have one to reinstall the lot. So don't get messing about with partitions or anything, especially if there's what looks like space being taken up by nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Norton antivirus

ReputationRep:
    Get zone alarm security suite, it has a built in AV, spam filter, IM security pop-up blocker and firewall.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Lol, nah that'd never happen, you can always start up off a CD or something.

Only thing you have to watch is that some dodgy laptops and that have the install data on a hidden partition or something on the hard drive so they don't have to worry about producing lots of CDs to give you and instead you just have one to reinstall the lot. So don't get messing about with partitions or anything, especially if there's what looks like space being taken up by nothing.
    How would I know if theres a "hidden partition"?

I'm only going to reformat if they pre-install Norton Anti-Virus, *spit*, which I hear is a ***** to actually get rid of.

ReputationRep:
    pop-up stopper: Firefox
    Firewall: Zonealarm
    AV: Avast

all freeee! and better than what you could buy to do the same thing.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Checkpoint's Firewall-1 is excellent

ReputationRep:
    I use ZoneAlarm, Ad-aware 6, SpywareBlaster and AVG. All free.

ReputationRep:
    You could always see if your collage has a special licence for Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition that allows you to use it on ur laptop, my collage did. The corporate edition is much nicer than the regular one as that version is quicker to use, and takes up far less resources. It dosent include all those fancy graphics and flashy bits, which waste memory, it just does what you want it to do.

Pop up killer, definatly use Mozilla Firefox, can also include an ad-blocker (if you install it) to remove those nasty banners. It is a far more advanced internet browser than microsoft internet explorer, and less buggy.

Im not really qualified to speak about software firewalls as i have a hardware one, I believe zonealarm pro is currently the best one, and some of my mates use the norton personal firewall, which is effective, but takes up resources (as all norton personal software does).

EDIT: Also get Adaware to remove spyware.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.