Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To all people worrying about their GCSE and AS results - especially all the threads.. 'I only got 6 A* at GCSE... is this enough to get into Durham? ' ...

A little reassurance:
    - I got AABBBBBCC at GCSE.
    - I got BDDE in my first year of AS.

- I never, ever worked hard, because I had no goal or obvious reason to.

- I restarted with subjects I actually liked and found what I wanted to study.

2nd Shot at AS:
    AAAA - Offers from St Andrews, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and Sheffield.

- Never underestimate the power of a strong personal statement - it can really make it up, If you demonstrate clearly and explicitly that you have now found what you wish to do and show genuine passion for it - you will be fine, and if you can get the AS grades to back it up - which I didn't have at all to begin with either - then they will take you very seriously. Don't worry - you'll be surprised. I thought they'd laugh at my grades.

* Also - when I restarted I went to a totally different college, further away - because I think it's very important to detach yourself from the restrictive expectations and attitudes at your old institution. When I started at a new place, I was fresh - the first thing they saw was my altered attitude and hence, expectations of my new grades were standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dock-leaf)
    To all people worrying about their GCSE and AS results - especially all the threads.. 'I only got 6 A* at GCSE... is this enough to get into Durham? ' ...

A little reassurance:

2nd Shot at AS:

- Never underestimate the power of a strong personal statement - it can really make it up, If you demonstrate clearly and explicitly that you have now found what you wish to do and show genuine passion for it - you will be fine, and if you can get the AS grades to back it up - which I didn't have at all to begin with either - then they will take you very seriously. Don't worry - you'll be surprised. I thought they'd laugh at my grades.
    That is very correct. 👏👍
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    What a lovely thread, a lot of GCSE students are struggling today and this is a lovely message to remind them anything is possible if they apply themselves! :yy:

ReputationRep:

A little reassurance:

2nd Shot at AS:

I got similar GCSEs to yours. My AS results were significantly better than yours (on the first try). I just want to know the course applied for?

ReputationRep:
    honestly this happens to maybe 1 in 100 people, so i dont really see the point of people trying to say you can go from bad grades to great.
    if you work at it yeah you can get better grades, but in my many years of education. i have yet to see anyone go from really crap grades to good ones. so yeah, this isnt as common as people on TSR like you to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *ihavenoidea*)
    That is very correct. 👏👍
    Yeah, I think many people 'start' a little later than others - and to be honest, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; it demonstrates that they aren't just robots working for social and institutional pressures - but that they work for something, and simply found that a little later, or at all. I think that is perhaps more impressive and people should not be put off by GCSE results etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    What a lovely thread, a lot of GCSE students are struggling today and this is a lovely message to remind them anything is possible if they apply themselves! :yy:
    Ahh thank you - that's nice to hear

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think many people 'start' a little later than others - and to be honest, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; it demonstrates that they aren't just robots working for social and institutional pressures - but that they work for something, and simply found that a little later, or at all. I think that is perhaps more impressive and people should not be put off by GCSE results etc.
    Haha yeah I was one of those people 😂😂 but still you're right it doesn't really matter just don't leave it too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    honestly this happens to maybe 1 in 100 people, so i dont really see the point of people trying to say you can go from bad grades to great.
    if you work at it yeah you can get better grades, but in my many years of education. i have yet to see anyone go from really crap grades to good ones. so yeah, this isnt as common as people on TSR like you to think.

To be honest - I think whether this happens or not is essentially down to the attitude of the individual; and that's why I think it's valuable. Because sure, most people probably will not commit to going to a new place and restarting, confident they can change things.. that's the separating factor - and is something very much in the hands of the individual.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing!!
    Well done!!

You have shown courage!
    I admire your determination!!

What subjects did you do at AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    Amazing!!
    Well done!!

You have shown courage!
    I admire your determination!!

What subjects did you do at AS?
    That's kind of you - thanks.
    History, English Lit, Politics, Philosophy and Ethics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.