The Student Room Group

Help with A2 English Language Investigation?

I have no idea what to do about my investigation this year. I initially thought I could do something to do with LGBT (Lavender linguistics, Polari, gay stereotypes in movies etc.) but my teacher wasn't too keen on it it so I settled for comparing modern day fairy tales to their darker origins, which seemed like a decent idea.

I've got my data but I have no clue what to do with it. I have no idea what what my hypothesis should be like, what kind of linguistic features I should look out for and analyse, which theorists would be relevant etc etc. and any help would be massively appreciated. I've tried looking at loads of older investigations, especially ones similar to mine but I just ended up panicking and feeling incredibly overwhelmed stressing over how I could write something like that.
Thanks in advance!
Mia
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mia549
I have no idea what to do about my investigation this year. I initially thought I could do something to do with LGBT (Lavender linguistics, Polari, gay stereotypes in movies etc.) but my teacher wasn't too keen on it it so I settled for comparing modern day fairy tales to their darker origins, which seemed like a decent idea.

I've got my data but I have no clue what to do with it. I have no idea what what my hypothesis should be like, what kind of linguistic features I should look out for and analyse, which theorists would be relevant etc etc. and any help would be massively appreciated. I've tried looking at loads of older investigations, especially ones similar to mine but I just ended up panicking and feeling incredibly overwhelmed stressing over how I could write something like that.
Thanks in advance!
Mia

Your teacher was right about LGBT as there's hardly any research done about language and sexuality.

Your idea sounds good, but very complicated, which is what happens when you decide to pick a written topic, over a spoken one.

Well first of, you need to consider what are you comparing and for what purposes are you trying to find? I.e how they convey meaning through literal or figurative language like metaphors, etc.

I think yours is a very hard topic. Maybe reshape it and have something to do with looking at children's fairy tales and children's reading maybe? Looking at what kind of influences that makes? Do you have any kids in your family that you could question or "interview" as part of your data i.e "what lesson did you learn from this story?" etc.

What kind of data do you even have? Maybe look at syntax and word order and pragmatic meaning? Sort of theorists/theories you'll need to look at are Grammarians and what they say about grammar and language change.
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Your teacher was right about LGBT as there's hardly any research done about language and sexuality.

Your idea sounds good, but very complicated, which is what happens when you decide to pick a written topic, over a spoken one.

Well first of, you need to consider what are you comparing and for what purposes are you trying to find? I.e how they convey meaning through literal or figurative language like metaphors, etc.

I think yours is a very hard topic. Maybe reshape it and have something to do with looking at children's fairy tales and children's reading maybe? Looking at what kind of influences that makes? Do you have any kids in your family that you could question or "interview" as part of your data i.e "what lesson did you learn from this story?" etc.

What kind of data do you even have? Maybe look at syntax and word order and pragmatic meaning? Sort of theorists/theories you'll need to look at are Grammarians and what they say about grammar and language change.

I was advised to go with a written topic to save time on transcribing spoken language. It didn't occur to me to have a bit on figurative language (like I said, I've gone blank) so I'll have a look at that but I thought you get marked higher for analysing smaller details, like grammar and stuff.

I do have loads of kids in my family but I was thinking something along the lines of how the fairy tales are shaped to be more age appropriate over time and maybe some stuff on context, since the orginals were initially for adults (Sleeping Beauty is raped and gives birth to twins in her sleep, the little mermaid commits suicide etc.) but I'm not sure how since it's always been emphasised to me that we should analyse linguistic choices, not content/plot. Syntax would be good, I think.

My data includes three modern childrens books of Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, and Rapunzel and pdf files of the original versions, and I'll be comparing and analysing certain scenes that I'll choose once I've got a hypothesis. I don't know which theorists are relevant since we won't study language change for a few months.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, I'm so confused about this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mia549
I was advised to go with a written topic to save time on transcribing spoken language. It didn't occur to me to have a bit on figurative language (like I said, I've gone blank) so I'll have a look at that but I thought you get marked higher for analysing smaller details, like grammar and stuff.

I do have loads of kids in my family but I was thinking something along the lines of how the fairy tales are shaped to be more age appropriate over time and maybe some stuff on context, since the orginals were initially for adults (Sleeping Beauty is raped and gives birth to twins in her sleep, the little mermaid commits suicide etc.) but I'm not sure how since it's always been emphasised to me that we should analyse linguistic choices, not content/plot. Syntax would be good, I think.

My data includes three modern childrens books of Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, and Rapunzel and pdf files of the original versions, and I'll be comparing and analysing certain scenes that I'll choose once I've got a hypothesis. I don't know which theorists are relevant since we won't study language change for a few months.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, I'm so confused about this.

Transcribing doesn't take at all a long time. Whoever advised you, shouldn't of said that - they probably don't want to watch all the original videos that's why!

You get marked on your analysis of data, not on individual aspects of language. You simply get marked on how well your analysis is.

Hmm, sounds like a right pickle! It's sounding more like a literary analysis rather than a linguistic one.

How about something like looking at how children relate certain words in fairy tales to everyday life? Maybe like the meaning of "princess" and you could further your study by mixing it with language and gender?

I would honestly consider changing your coursework. There's not a lot of research for what you're suggesting and even if there was, your coursework word limit is far too small to make a convincing investigation. Remember, this is an investigation so you've got to think "I've picked this topic - what am I trying to find about it?"

For example, I looked at gender and swearing and profanity. I investigated which gender swears the most and in which context they use swearing (aggressive, humour and emphatic).

I mean, what you've just said about fairytales being age-appropriate is fine. Instead of looking at grammarians and so forth, you'd need to look at children's language acquisition - reading and all the concepts relating to how children draw up concepts from reading and so forth. There's a fair bit of research about this, so you may want to consider this side. If you want to look at content/plot, then you need to relate that to children's reading techniques maybe? There's a few things you can do with it. But if you don't like CLA then it might be boring.

Quick Reply

Latest