Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There is a guy who I liked, but starting to get over. He told me he fancied me, and wanted to have sex, but he never wanted anything more. Personality-wise, he said he thought a lot of me, that I had everything going for me, I was so kind, always made him laugh etc. and that I deserved someone really nice. We used to talk loads and we both said that we got on well and that there was chemistry. But he said he only saw me as a friend and never felt 'the thing'.
    It's ok I've accepted it and I'm getting over it, but just wondered if anyone else had been in this situation? My friend said that I should have played 'hard to get' in the beginning, and that I was too keen on him and it showed, and scared him off.
    She reckons that in general, men like more of a challenge, and I should make them want me more..
    I didn't necessarily agree. I'm not good at that sort of thing ,I'm very upfront and direct ,and will say exactly what I think and feel, and make things clear. Does it sound like I should maybe be more like my friend suggested? I'd just like to know for the future! Of course ,it depends on the person, but as a general rule.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There is a guy who I liked, but starting to get over. He told me he fancied me, and wanted to have sex, but he never wanted anything more. Personality-wise, he said he thought a lot of me, that I had everything going for me, I was so kind, always made him laugh etc. and that I deserved someone really nice. We used to talk loads and we both said that we got on well and that there was chemistry. But he said he only saw me as a friend and never felt 'the thing'.
    It's ok I've accepted it and I'm getting over it, but just wondered if anyone else had been in this situation? My friend said that I should have played 'hard to get' in the beginning, and that I was too keen on him and it showed, and scared him off.
    She reckons that in general, men like more of a challenge, and I should make them want me more..
    I didn't necessarily agree. I'm not good at that sort of thing ,I'm very upfront and direct ,and will say exactly what I think and feel, and make things clear. Does it sound like I should maybe be more like my friend suggested? I'd just like to know for the future! Of course ,it depends on the person, but as a general rule.
    I personally think playing game is immature, some challenge is ok but at the same time if it goes on then I get bored and lose interest.

Playing hard to get is stupid and in most cases itll only make guys think you arent interested imo (though obv everyones different and some guys do like the challenge)
    In this case tho it sounds like he never thought of you as more than a friend and i doubt being coy would have changed anything.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    No. People get tired of that ****, fast.

ReputationRep:
    do not play hard to get. Its amotional game playing and manipulation.

If you like him then go for it. Do not mess with his head

thank you for the replies they've reassured me... I think hard to get is silly anyway, apparently it's 'what he likes' ,but hey, that's his problem.

ReputationRep:
    Eh, the chase is fun in the beginning but it's not a game. If someone likes you they'll do without that part, honestly. You shouldn't have to try and trick someone into wanting you essentially as that what it kinda tries to do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    thank you for the replies they've reassured me... I think hard to get is silly anyway, apparently it's 'what he likes' ,but hey, that's his problem.
    If he is only after sex what is the point of even chasing him if you want more than just sex?

ReputationRep:
    Idk I've tried playing hard to get in the past and hasn't really gotten me anymore and I have this fear of appearing desperate so I don't put myself out there and make the first move with guys either, so I'm stuck in a rut :/

ReputationRep:
    I met a man like that 3 years ago. They are called Losers.
    As soon as a man tells you that **** about not wanting anything except sex you drop them like a hot patato
    It does not matter that you did not play hard to get because that should not be important if someone really likes you but some men do prefer girls who play hard to get because they like the chase but my advice for next time is you don't have to play games but don't tell them your true feelings straight away, just play it cool and wait until you both agree that you're in a relationship where you are boyfriend/girlfriend first before you decide to be upfront and direct. Maybe being up front does scare them off so your friend is right in some ways as i scared off the bloke i met 3 years ago but just for sending long texts and texting that when we met it was fate but he took that to mean i would be clingy or get too attached to him which he was completely wrong about. That freaked him out so i know for next time just to keep my texts short and not mention certain things like that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.