Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so my A level grades were ACC which kinda puts my hopes of applying for VetMed out the window for now Im repeating the two Cs to try and get them to As and if i do ill take a year out and apply the next year for VM but if i get two Bs am i wise doing Veterinary biosciences and then going on to do a post grad in VM ?

please give me advice!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There are no minimum work experience requirements for studying bioveterinary science, however it will significantly strengthen your application if you do some. It is reasonably common for people who want to study veterinary to do biovet first, in which case to begin with they may have been gearing up for a veterinary application and as such will have some relevant work exp. It will be very handy to have some contacts too, for example if you wanted to do a placement year or for when you were doing work experience during your biovet degree in preparation for your veterinary application.

Sorry to hear that your grades weren't quite what you were hoping for. I agree that retaking the C subjects is the best idea for now, and wish you the best of luck with resitting them. If that doesn't quite go to plan then applying after a biovet degree is completely possible, and you'll be eligible for the four year 'accelerated' vet med program at some universities, however you should be well aware of the graduate tuition fees (up to £29000/year) and the lack of grants for if you chose to study vet med this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarrieSym)
    so my A level grades were ACC which kinda puts my hopes of applying for VetMed out the window for now Im repeating the two Cs to try and get them to As and if i do ill take a year out and apply the next year for VM but if i get two Bs am i wise doing Veterinary biosciences and then going on to do a post grad in VM ?

please give me advice!
    If you're wanting to do vet med afterwards it would be a good idea to do plenty of work experience so you are ready when you apply after you've done a biosciences degree. I applied as a grad student and I had over 52 weeks work experience and grad students are kind of expected to have more because they've had more time to do it in. Liverpool is mainly the one that's more fussy about work experience.

As LTC said, be aware of the costs and the lack of funding for it. I'm in a hell of a lot of debt already, not just to student finance but also my parents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.