Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why do university students willingly put themselves into a lifetime of debt that they will most likely never pay back, only to end up most likely working a boring job where they are forced to have to live in the same place, working their ass off all day just to make someone else's dreams come true?

ReputationRep:
    You're making the presumption that a university degree is a golden ticket to land you a top job in banking earning millions a year - Well, it isn't.

A university degree will help with securing that better job, but it isn't the only factor.

You need to gather lots of experience doing internships, voluneteering, part-time jobs, as well as super-curricular activities.

A combination of everything I've written above will help you secure that better job...

ReputationRep:
    From someone who never went to uni both because I mucked up school and from someone who didn't enjoy education. I don't believe saying Uni is completely pointless, the debt is not really a problem because you only pay it back once you earn the money.

If you want to be a doctor, scientist, work in medicine or be something like a nurse. Uni is sometimes the only way or the best way to achieve that.

I personally would rather just get on with working in the real world. However, everyone is different. I'm taking a huge gamble by starting a business. Believe me, sometimes you think that you are mad and some weeks you feel

If I am being completely honest, if I was to ever employ someone. I work rather experience on a CV rather than a degree, in my trade. However, if I was running a doctors surgery. I would rather have someone with a degree.

My issue with uni is the accept too many people on things like media studies, where there are limited jobs. They need to be harsher at limiting the places (for people on student loans) on these because as let's face it, a lot won't be able to pay their student loans back.

I believe uni has become to "mainstream", I completely disagree with the 50% target. There should be more technical colleges and are education system should be more personalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interwebz6)
    Why do university students willingly put themselves into a lifetime of debt that they will most likely never pay back, only to end up most likely working a boring job where they are forced to have to live in the same place, working their ass off all day just to make someone else's dreams come true?
    Because they want to study a subject they love, because they don't know what job they want to do, because they want the university life, maybe a mix of all 3. I really loved the freedom I had at university and at 18 I was not ready to commit myself to working life in an office, so much so I stayed on to do a Masters. The debt doesn't bother me at all. And for most profesional sectors most jobs still require a degree- the graduate vacancies outnumber the apprenticeship vacancies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.