Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I'm going to uni this year to study BSc Maths. I do alot of programming and would like to pursue a Software Engineering career post degree at a top company (Google, FB).

What are the salaries like in the UK?
    How hard / willing are these companies to take on graduates? Do you need experience from smaller companies first or what?
    Would I need an MSc in Computer Science or such? I'm really competent in computing and programming etc.

Thanks (if you don't mind i'll ask more Qs in the thread)

[Been looking in this sub forum and just tagged a few people (:]
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Convex)
    Hi Guys

I'm going to uni this year to study BSc Maths. I do alot of programming and would like to pursue a Software Engineering career post degree at a top company (Google, FB).

What are the salaries like in the UK?
    How hard / willing are these companies to take on graduates? Do you need experience from smaller companies first or what?
    Would I need an MSc in Computer Science or such? I'm really competent in computing and programming etc.

Thanks (if you don't mind i'll ask more Qs in the thread)

[Been looking in this sub forum and just tagged a few people (:]
    1. Data points I have:
    Google ~£50k + N number of GOOG shares over 4 years (works out to ~£20-30k/year) + signing bonus + 10% target end of year bonus
    Amazon ~£42k + stock (no idea in the UK, but vesting schedule is 5% first year, 15% second year and 20% every 6 months thereafter)

Bloomberg ~£40-50k + £7k stock + £3k signing

Facebook: £59k + £0 - £17k GBP signing bonus (depends on interview) + 10% annual bonus + ~£15-25k stock a year

Investment banks: ~£35-45k + small end of year bonus + £3-5k signing bonus

All my other data is for the US.

2. Very hard, you need strong projects, good EC involvement (hackathons, running coding meetups at uni etc), strong algorithmic foundations. Then the interviews are usually quite intense, you'll be white board coding/working through problems for 30-45 minutes at a time. All the top tech cos take on interns who are still at uni (you can intern in the US if you want, or even like Japan), and take on grads.*

3. No but that can work if you luck out on a job directly after uni

4. No, any degree in theory (but more emphasis on STEM)

5. There's being competent and there's being good enough to get through the recruitment processes of some of the worlds best tech companies/finance firms*
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This isn't my field so I won't be able to provide any advice I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    X
    Thanks for the reply.

Around what is the starting salary for smaller firms that are perhaps easier to get in as opposed to Google?

Are these interships paid or non paid work? What degree of knowledge are you expected to have to get an interships (i presume they're as hard to get in as the actual job itself).

How selective are these big tech comp are of the university you attended? Many people here have said that for Engineering, companies aren't too picky as opposed to Investment Banking (?) Is there more emphasis on your knowledge and interview?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Convex)
    Thanks for the reply.

Around what is the starting salary for smaller firms that are perhaps easier to get in as opposed to Google?

Are these interships paid or non paid work? What degree of knowledge are you expected to have to get an interships (i presume they're as hard to get in as the actual job itself).

How selective are these big tech comp are of the university you attended? Many people here have said that for Engineering, companies aren't too picky as opposed to Investment Banking (?) Is there more emphasis on your knowledge and interview?

Thanks
    1. Dunno, could be anywhere from £18k up north in the regions, to £20-28k in London/South East to £28-35k on an IT grad scheme for a regular blue chip FTSE250/Fortune 500 company in London.

2. Yes, paid very well. You're pretty much expected to be almost as good as a grad. Ofc, anything top is hard to get into.

3. I mean, there's a bit of a bias towards universities with top STEM programs but realistically, anyone can get picked for an interview. It's nowhere near as bad as front office IB, your prior projects, knowledge and work speak for themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Realistically you're looking at 25-35k starting. Remember that it's your first job. Many raises can happen after that.

But yes, to get the best jobs you must be able to either show to past work experience AND/OR projects you've worked on it your own time. As such, it will be more of a stretch for someone with a geography degree to get a programming job than someone who did CS.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've moved this to the IT and Technology forum as it's more relevant in there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.