The Student Room Group

Instant rejections (Machine reading applications?)

I have been applying to a few apprenticeships lately and the large majority instantly reject my application the morning after the position closes. Most of my applications have been through the government find an apprenticeship service.
I've found it a bit odd that they would have time to consider my application (and others) in such a short amount of time as I was under the impression that the selection process to move forward usually took around a couple of weeks.

I usually find these positions relisted a few days after the original deadline, therefore the position doesn't appear to have been filled before the deadline is reached.

I have been wondering if the find an apprenticeship service has some sort of functionality built in that scans through applications for keywords etc therefore weeding out "bad" applications so that they do not need to be read by a real person. I have heard is the case with some jobs for CVs so wondered if it applied to apprenticeships too.

Other possibilities I feel could have been instantly rejected for include:

I am 19 years old and therefore am not eligible for the full apprenticeship funding

I already possess a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma and am mainly applying to level 3 apprenticeships (I haven't found many level 4 apprenticeships for the position I desire)

My surname is high alphabetically so if applications are listed alphabetically it could be one of the first read

Is it common to receive these instant rejections (although the position has not been filled as it gets relisted shortly after) and is there any reason for it? Or are the recruiters just VERY efficient at reading applications and did not find mine up to standards?
Reply 1
Well you might be applying at an awkward time. They normally recruit and run assessment days earlier in the year for a September start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending