Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have recently finished my GCSE and collected my Results today.
    I achieved 8 A's and 3 B's (+M2 in BTEC sport)

So this is the issue...
    My original A Level plan in January -

Philosophy Chemistry Geography

Then came parents evening and my sociology teacher hinted I should do sociology in a level as one of my subject choices (Gained an A GCSE Grade)
    So I decided Heck, I'm going to do sociology instead,
    I scrapped philosophy as the RE teachers in my school are crap yet I am super interested and I love debating but I would probably be too controversial as I do go to a religious school (as a atheist). But sociology was super interesting as well so I decided to swap them.

Sociology Chemistry Geography

Now come results day I was gutted to see I got a B in Geography as I have been achieving A* everytime in the mocks. However in History I managed to do really well with 100% on my Nazi Germany paper, I love Nazi Germany its super interesting. My brothers said I should do History instead of Geography as you had a talent for the subject, My teacher was also pushing me to do it also.

History/Geography Chemistry Sociology...

They also said I should look at university courses but to be fair
    I have no clue what the heck I want to do in my life so

1) Geography or History
    2) What courses what be most suitable for me for university if I did go

Thanks for listening I am really stuck and have no idea what I am going to do!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluzx)

So this is the issue...

Then came parents evening and my sociology teacher hinted I should do sociology in a level as one of my subject choices (Gained an A GCSE Grade)
    I scrapped philosophy as the RE teachers in my school are crap yet I am super interested and I love debating but I would probably be too controversial as I do go to a religious school (as a atheist). But sociology was super interesting as well so I decided to swap them.

Now come results day I was gutted to see I got a B in Geography as I have been achieving A* everytime in the mocks. However in History I managed to do really well with 100% on my Nazi Germany paper, I love Nazi Germany its super interesting. My brothers said I should do History instead of Geography as you had a talent for the subject, My teacher was also pushing me to do it also.

1) Geography or History

You sound like me last year. I had to choose between business (a talent) or art (what i enjoyed). I took the subject i was talented at and got 97% at AS, i think you should do the same.

And about courses for university it doesn't really matter, whatever you pick 2/3 of the subjects are traditional
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Bluzx)

So this is the issue...

1) Geography or History

Congrats on your GCSE results, well done!

I think it's important to consider teaching ability and quality at A-level so if your RE teachers are bad, then it might not be the best option to go for Philosophy. And even if you wanted to do that at uni, you don't need an A-level in it.

Even though you got a B in Geography, doesn't mean you're not capable of studying it at A-level.

You might be interested in Nazi Germany, but how about other histories of the world? Have you looked at what is taught at A-level History? They might shy away from Nazi German/German History since they offer it at GCSE. History is so broad and if you're not interested in it, then it can become a real dire subject.

I also second that you should check Geography syllabus and see if it sounds more interesting than History. History is interesting, but at A2 it has coursework roughly 3000-4000 words. Do you want to do this? Maybe that's something you should consider?

If you want to go to uni, it's quite important to understand what kind of career(s) you might be interested in pursuing later on. There's no point (imo) going on to uni, doing a degree that will not be of any benefit for life outside of education. However, most humanity subjects at uni teach you transferable skills nowadays.

Ultimately it does come back to which subject sounds the most interesting one to study of the 2 years really. They are both interesting subjects, but if you don't find half the course of any interest then, there'd be no point in picking it.

Good luck with whatever subject you decide to pick.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.