The Student Room Group

Re-take gcse maths again!!! uni help!

Hi there, i have failed my GCSE maths for the third time today ( i am 19). i have dyslexia but i have completed my a level and AS with A A B C. im doing a pre-degree course in september, when i apply for unis will i still be able to go even if i have D in maths?
i am looking for degrees in Textiles and costume, will i still be able to go to university?
Depends on the uni, from the course that your looking at should be find and hey don't be bummed out, I TOTALLY understand, fellow learning disability member over here hehehe

Spoiler

but yeah your fineeeee maybe call up the unis you wanna look at and ask, they might even say your fine or could even say re-sit while your studying there...who knows, only they can tell you!!!!! *smiles*
Reply 2
I am in the same boat, an admissions person who came to my school said they will look at everything together. Not only GCSE grades but Your a-level grades and personal statement.
If you have a wicked PS, a really nice statement from your school, and meet the minimum requirements or over, then they may send the application to the head of the course department which might even be the professor. Who knows what will happen! Get your school to back you up as much as you can! The big factor is if you will be hard working, and want to do well. They don't want someone who has high grades but their school says they are lazy!

The university's are not closed minded they also look at your personality, because at the end of the day if I was a professor I would choose someone who has a burning passion for my course and got a D in maths gcse with good a-levels, then someone with top grades who doesn't even bother to work hard :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for replying! This is filling me with hope! I'm hardworking and received student of the year last year at college :smile: they all said if need be can write to unis and what not! Thank you for your help, when I opened the result for the 3rd time today I felt the wind had been taken out of the sails as I recieved good a levels!!
Reply 4
Original post by Alicemayxxx
Thank you for replying! This is filling me with hope! I'm hardworking and received student of the year last year at college :smile: they all said if need be can write to unis and what not! Thank you for your help, when I opened the result for the 3rd time today I felt the wind had been taken out of the sails as I recieved good a levels!!

Your in year 13 right?when are you going to take your grades to uni?
Reply 5
Original post by Ktb1208
Your in year 13 right?when are you going to take your grades to uni?

Yes I'm in year 13, going off to uni for pre-degree! It was sept 2017 I will be going off to uni!
Original post by Alicemayxxx
Hi there, i have failed my GCSE maths for the third time today ( i am 19). i have dyslexia but i have completed my a level and AS with A A B C. im doing a pre-degree course in september, when i apply for unis will i still be able to go even if i have D in maths?
i am looking for degrees in Textiles and costume, will i still be able to go to university?

Look at the entry requirements. :smile: For example Durham (a high-ranking university) doesn't have a general requirement for C in Maths but you will need it for some programmes. It's also worth double-checking with unis whether a C is needed as they don't always make it clear on their websites. Bear in mind that universities can be quite inflexible about GCSE requirements - you can have amazing A Level grades but still be turned away for not having a C in Maths. It doesn't mean you're stupid, so don't get too discouraged by flat 'no's, but make sure they're from the admissions tutors of the courses you want to do, rather than general admissions staff (try to contact admissions tutors for Textiles and Costume rather than general admissions departments - I've found that talking to subject-specific admissions tutors gets better results).

Bear in mind I know nothing about the grades that unis wan for Textiles and Costume, but hopefully my experience in asking unis whether they will accept me with a D in Maths and great Access Diploma grades has equipped me with some knowledge relevant to your situation :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by greenmang0
Look at the entry requirements. :smile: For example Durham (a high-ranking university) doesn't have a general requirement for C in Maths but you will need it for some programmes. It's also worth double-checking with unis whether a C is needed as they don't always make it clear on their websites. Bear in mind that universities can be quite inflexible about GCSE requirements - you can have amazing A Level grades but still be turned away for not having a C in Maths. It doesn't mean you're stupid, so don't get too discouraged by flat 'no's, but make sure they're from the admissions tutors of the courses you want to do, rather than general admissions staff (try to contact admissions tutors for Textiles and Costume rather than general admissions departments - I've found that talking to subject-specific admissions tutors gets better results).

Bear in mind I know nothing about the grades that unis wan for Textiles and Costume, but hopefully my experience in asking unis whether they will accept me with a D in Maths and great Access Diploma grades has equipped me with some knowledge relevant to your situation :wink:

Thank you for your help! This is really helpful :smile:
Reply 8
Sorry to hear that 😔

Are you planning to retake anytime soon? Were you able to find a uni that will consider your application?

Some unis do take students without GCSE Maths or English, but they usually ask you to sit an exam while you're doing your first year at uni, which I don't think you'll have trouble in doing so because you've got really good grades at your AS and A-levels. It might take some of your time and a little bit of hard work but I really believe that you're very capable of getting a high grade from that exam. 👍
(edited 7 years ago)
I have just checked the entry requirements on about 6 unis and they do not mention requiring Maths at GCSE so hopefully you will be OK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending