Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not sure whether a remark is worth it please help! watch

Announcements

Name:  thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  81.2 KB

I picked up my results for core science today and I am not sure whether I need a remark? (I'm in year 10)

Once I got home I converted the UMS scores into raw marks, this is what I got:
    Biology - 19/60 [D] (7 more marks needed for a C)
    Chemistry - 28/60 [D] (1 more mark needed for a C)
    Physics - 20/60 [D] (2 more marks needed for a C)

I achieved a C grade overall mostly because of my controlled assessment I think.

Would it be worth getting a remark as I feel that I got more than 19 marks in Biology and I was close to a solid C in Chemistry and Physics??

The only thing that worrys me is that my grade could go down after a remark??

Someone please help me!
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by JackT2000)

I picked up my results for core science today and I am not sure whether I need a remark? (I'm in year 10)

I achieved a C grade overall mostly because of my controlled assessment I think.

Would it be worth getting a remark as I feel that I got more than 19 marks in Biology and I was close to a solid C in Chemistry and Physics??

Someone please help me!
    Heya —

First of all, well done on your excellent controlled assessment grade! That's fantastic and a C is still absolutely brilliant, so don't be too hard on yourself. I'd say if you want to go down the route of remarking, that it may be worth it for Chemistry and Physics but not biology as you are a little too far from the grade boundary for it to be viable.

At the end of the day, there is a certain level of risk when it comes to remarking and so you have to be prepared for grades to potentially go down as well as up. As you're in year 10, there may even be the option to resit the course with other students and doing it twice will almost definitely ensure even better grades! Make sure you speak to the head of science about your options.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best of luck and well done!
    Ethan

(Original post by iEthan)
    Heya —

First of all, well done on your excellent controlled assessment grade! That's fantastic and a C is still absolutely brilliant, so don't be too hard on yourself. I'd say if you want to go down the route of remarking, that it may be worth it for Chemistry and Physics but not biology as you are a little too far from the grade boundary for it to be viable.

At the end of the day, there is a certain level of risk when it comes to remarking and so you have to be prepared for grades to potentially go down as well as up. As you're in year 10, there may even be the option to resit the course with other students and doing it twice will almost definitely ensure even better grades! Make sure you speak to the head of science about your options.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best of luck and well done!
    Ethan
    Thanks but if I did decide to get a remark for Chemistry and Physics it wouldn't take my overall grade up to a B would it? Maybe should I just keep what I have as I would rather not do an extra 3 exams next year?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks but if I did decide to get a remark for Chemistry and Physics it wouldn't take my overall grade up to a B would it? Maybe should I just keep what I have as I would rather not do an extra 3 exams next year?
    You're quite right there, I was trying to get at the point that it may not be viable to have a remark done. A C is a very solid grade anyway and if you're not looking at science in the future, I'd say it'd be ok to leave it and if you wanted to resit next year, that option is open too.

(Original post by iEthan)
    You're quite right there, I was trying to get at the point that it may not be viable to have a remark done. A C is a very solid grade anyway and if you're not looking at science in the future, I'd say it'd be ok to leave it and if you wanted to resit next year, that option is open too.
    Thanks I think I will leave it and focus on the rest of my GCSE's, especially English and Maths.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thanks I think I will leave it and focus on the rest of my GCSE's, especially English and Maths.
    I think that's a good decision Jack! All the best for the future and enjoy the rest of your day.

ReputationRep:

Someone please help me!
    There's an 18% chance of a mark changing at all. Whether it be up or down. Considering this is science, the figure is going to be lower.

I wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, in all 3 of my sciences I was 3 marks from an A*. I'm happy with an A grade but as I want to go into medicine I was really hoping for the A* grades and I'm unsure whether to get them remarked
    for chemistry I got 40 and need 43,to drop down to a B I would need to loose 5 marks
    for biology I got 30 and need 33,to drop down a grade I would need to loose 4 marks
    for physics I got 32 and need 36,this is 4 marks id need and I'm 9 marks away from a lower grade

do you think any of these are worth remarking?? I'm pretty happy with 3 A's but if an A* was possible that would be great

ReputationRep:
    Jack Tether?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.