Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My grades weren't perfect, as in two of the Bs should have been A/A* so I'm not sure what happened there, but I got 4A*s 4As and 3Bs. Really happy, I think this is a good basis for A levels, I'm going to work really hard to get A*AA or better!
    Reading Oxford threads for medicine really spooked me before, when people said you need 10A*s plus, but having seen people get in with less, and how BMAT and interviews can be more important, I still have a chance, don't you say? If not, hopefully these GCSEs should be more than good enough for other medical schools, along with good ps, UKCAT/BMAT etc.
    Anyway, just really happy so I wanted to make a post
    Anyone else relieved?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LDS16)
    My grades weren't perfect, as in two of the Bs should have been A/A* so I'm not sure what happened there, but I got 4A*s 4As and 3Bs. Really happy, I think this is a good basis for A levels, I'm going to work really hard to get A*AA or better!
    Reading Oxford threads for medicine really spooked me before, when people said you need 10A*s plus, but having seen people get in with less, and how BMAT and interviews can be more important, I still have a chance, don't you say? If not, hopefully these GCSEs should be more than good enough for other medical schools, along with good ps, UKCAT/BMAT etc.
    Anyway, just really happy so I wanted to make a post
    Anyone else relieved?
    Congrats decent set of results in general.

Whilst I know nothing of medicine and applying etc, I would say now is the time to be looking around, see how you can make your application is competitive as possible through experience etc, then I think after Year 12 start thinking about whether you'll apply to BMAT or UKCAT-based (stop me if I'm chatting rubbish) unis and apply to your strengths.

But anyway, well done and hope you're celebrating as well :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Congrats decent set of results in general.

Whilst I know nothing of medicine and applying etc, I would say now is the time to be looking around, see how you can make your application is competitive as possible through experience etc, then I think after Year 12 start thinking about whether you'll apply to BMAT or UKCAT-based (stop me if I'm chatting rubbish) unis and apply to your strengths.

But anyway, well done and hope you're celebrating as well :lol:
    thanks for the advice I've started looking already, seeing what requirements are etc. Unfortunately Cambridge is already out as I'm not doing maths or physics A level, but the majority of schools will be open to me with good grades in chemistry and biology a level. My ultimate goal would be oxford or imperial, it's such a shame that oxford emphasises GCSEs so much I'll be doing the BMAT for sure with the universities I'm looking at, and probably also the UKCAT (if I can do both??) for a UKCAT school with "lower" requirements, as a back up. I'll start doing past papers and slowly preparing for the aptitude tests in january, I've already looked at some questions and they look tough, although I've never done a proper paper before so I don't know how I'd do.

Thanks again, I'm celebrating a lot and pushing those two pesky Bs out of my head the other B was further maths though, that can stay haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    thanks for the advice I've started looking already, seeing what requirements are etc. Unfortunately Cambridge is already out as I'm not doing maths or physics A level, but the majority of schools will be open to me with good grades in chemistry and biology a level. My ultimate goal would be oxford or imperial, it's such a shame that oxford emphasises GCSEs so much I'll be doing the BMAT for sure with the universities I'm looking at, and probably also the UKCAT (if I can do both??) for a UKCAT school with "lower" requirements, as a back up. I'll start doing past papers and slowly preparing for the aptitude tests in january, I've already looked at some questions and they look tough, although I've never done a proper paper before so I don't know how I'd do.

Thanks again, I'm celebrating a lot and pushing those two pesky Bs out of my head the other B was further maths though, that can stay haha
    I've been looking in to medical school also and top places like Cambridge and Oxford state on their websites that GCSE grades aren't majorly important when applying, however due to the competitivness of a course like medicine I imagine they'd look at your GCSE grades. Hopefully they'd focus more on As levels if your college/sixth form does them or mock exam results. Your grades look really good and I'm sure you'll get in to medical school! I got 3 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs so fingers crossed for me too!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am so relieved the waiting was killing me. I'm happy that it's over and done with.

(Original post by LDS16)

Focus on doing well in year 12 first before considering all of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ag123456)
    I've been looking in to medical school also and top places like Cambridge and Oxford state on their websites that GCSE grades aren't majorly important when applying, however due to the competitivness of a course like medicine I imagine they'd look at your GCSE grades. Hopefully they'd focus more on As levels if your college/sixth form does them or mock exam results. Your grades look really good and I'm sure you'll get in to medical school! I got 3 A*s, 5 As and 3 Bs so fingers crossed for me too!
    Ah congrats, fantastic grades!!
    It's hard working out what's a myth and what's not sometimes haha. Loads of people say oxbridge, especially oxford want really high GCSEs, like 7-10A*... but I don't see how every applicant has those grades? I think our results are good, above average- if we both get good predictions/results for A levels, along with a strong personal statement and BMAT score, I think we still have a good chance I think that there may be some medical school that'll take me, providing I work hard enough.. But I want to aim for the top haha

what were your subject grades, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niv1234)
    Yes I am so relieved the waiting was killing me. I'm happy that it's over and done with.
    now onto A levels lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    Focus on doing well in year 12 first before considering all of this.
    yeah, not going to think about it too much once college starts. I want to get familiar with the aptitude tests, but I'll focus on my AS mocks at the end of yr 12, since those will be very important and everyone says to start working hard from the start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Ah congrats, fantastic grades!!
    It's hard working out what's a myth and what's not sometimes haha. Loads of people say oxbridge, especially oxford want really high GCSEs, like 7-10A*... but I don't see how every applicant has those grades? I think our results are good, above average- if we both get good predictions/results for A levels, along with a strong personal statement and BMAT score, I think we still have a good chance I think that there may be some medical school that'll take me, providing I work hard enough.. But I want to aim for the top haha

what were your subject grades, if you don't mind me asking?
    Maths - A*
    Chemistry- A*
    History - A*
    Biology - A
    Physics - A
    English Lit - A
    Statistics - A
    ICT - A
    Music - B
    English language - B
    German - B
    What about you?

Lots of people say lots of different things, so it's one of them really!! We'll just have to try our best with our A-levels and make sure we have great personal statements! There will definitely be medical schools that will take us hopefully. I'm sure you're already aware of it, but it's also great to have some sort of work experience when you're applying for medicine. Apparently having at least 6 months of work experience in a hospital or any medical institution really strengthens your application to uni.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    just waiting for sixth form to start next week already even though i feel exhausted from the results waiting game and just basically used to being lazy all summer - im not ready but let A levels start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    now onto A levels lol
    Yes, me too. Good luck with everything! When are you back in school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ag123456)
    Maths - A*
    Chemistry- A*
    History - A*
    Biology - A
    Physics - A
    English Lit - A
    Statistics - A
    ICT - A
    Music - B
    English language - B
    German - B
    What about you?

Lots of people say lots of different things, so it's one of them really!! We'll just have to try our best with our A-levels and make sure we have great personal statements! There will definitely be medical schools that will take us hopefully. I'm sure you're already aware of it, but it's also great to have some sort of work experience when you're applying for medicine. Apparently having at least 6 months of work experience in a hospital or any medical institution really strengthens your application to uni.
    That's really you good you got an A* in maths and Chemistry, those are very important for medicine! I've started some work experience already haha, I'm volunteering at a hospice, and they also offer work experience programmes, and hopefully I'll continue volunteering for another year or so, so it's a long term commitment. Once I've rewritten my CV I'll apply to local care homes in the area, so I can get a paid part time job that's still relevant I'm also thinking of asking to shadow a GP at a local practice for a short time, in a half term or the holidays. Have you managed to get any experience yet? It's really hard to find any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    just waiting for sixth form to start next week already even though i feel exhausted from the results waiting game and just basically used to being lazy all summer - im not ready but let A levels start!
    I know what you mean, I feel a little lost :rofl:
    Because results day was the finality of leaving school, now I'm still on holiday but I haven't got too much to keep busy and I want to start A levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niv1234)
    Yes, me too. Good luck with everything! When are you back in school?
    Thank you, best of luck to you too!
    I have to go in on the 13th of September, they said I'll be given an information pack with things like my timetable then. So probably sometime later than that, a good two weeks from now. What about you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.