The Student Room Group

Should I take Biology A-Level?

I was planning to take Biology and Chemistry A-Level but I only got a C in Core Science, I was six marks off a B and it was mainly due to mix up with the ISA since I had a substitute teacher. The Deputy Head is supporting me in my argument. She is going to make an appeal to see if we can up the grade to a B. I think some colleges accept this. I got the best in the whole year in Science and my predicted grade was A* for both.

I also taught myself Additional Science after dropping it in Year 10 six months before the exam which shows my dedication to the subject. I got a B in the subject. The criteria is a double A for double Science but due to the situation could exceptions be made? Or should I look into Maths as an A Level or a more essay subject like Politics. I also could take Biology and Chemistry GCSE alongside the AS Levels.

I'm also starting to reconsider taking Chemistry so should I take Biology and another option?So do I have a chance or should I start looking into other options? Would it help if I only take Biology? Do you think with a instance like this exceptions can be made? I'm also taking English Lit and History as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I would say you have a good chance, collages aren't so hard line about grades that they would just pass up a legitimately good student because circumstances meant they didn't quite do well enough. Particularly if the school leaders themselves back you up.
Well im not qualified to give any real advice. However I am also looking to take A Level Biology. I have started to teach myself some of the material just to insure that I can handle the leap in difficulty. So far I have looked at the chemicals of life (Biological Molecules) such as Lipids, Proteins and Carbohydrates. Have to say it is like learning a new language with words such as monosaccharides and Triglycerides bouncing about. However it has reinforced my confidence in choosing the subject and I am finding it both fascinating and incredibly enjoyable. Like you I was very unsure about the subject and there is no better way in refinforcing your confidence in your choice and getting a head start!

Quick Reply