Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Did I read somewhere that London students (as in those who are studying in London) get extra loans for London living, or did I just make that up?

    I'm from the Isle of Man (yes, no jokes, please!), though, and we get all our fees paid for us by our government, so I'm not sure if this applies to us...I don't suppose anyone else knows? Yag yag.

    Thinking of King's, you see! Looks like such a good course, but I am a bit worried about money.

    If you're a student going to London then the maximum loan from the SLC is about £1000 more. Not sure what the situation with the Isle of Man is though .

    Help towards your living costs will come mainly from student loans. These are not commercial loans that are offered by high street banks. They are very cheap loans. The rate at which you repay your loan is directly linked to your income once you have graduated.

    The maximum loans available in 2004/05 are £5,050 for students living away from home and studying in London; £4,095 for students living away from home and studying outside London and £3,240 for students living at home.

    75% of the maximum loan is available to all eligible students regardless of any other income they have. Whether you can get any or all of the remaining 25% depends on your income and that of your family. As a general guide, if you do not pay fees, you will be able to get the maximum loan.

    Yes, you do get an increased loan studying in London (although it doesn't seem proportional to the increased living costs )

    Hope this helps.

    my mate is from this isle of man...and you'r not intitled to a student loan.

    your counted as an "international" student...but your government pays the fees {if your rents dont earn too much}

    so sorry, but your going to have to find your accomodation money from somewhere else.

    love Katy ***
    • Thread Starter

    Arsing hell.

    Thanks anyway!
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.