Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im just a bit scared to move to university, my mum booked a holiday for the family to go on, not knowing what time i start uni, so im going to miss freshers week and induction week, ill be going into the flat, late so people may have already formed friendship groups.

I also have a girlfriend that i've been with a while and i really don't want to leave here because of her, i wont get to see her at all, and im scared we might break up.

also scared about the course being to hard, does anyone have advice for me?

ReputationRep:
    If you're moving to university you should have the agency and capacity to say 'no thanks' to the holiday, and move-in by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrybo6)
    Im just a bit scared to move to university, my mum booked a holiday for the family to go on, not knowing what time i start uni, so im going to miss freshers week and induction week, ill be going into the flat, late so people may have already formed friendship groups.

I also have a girlfriend that i've been with a while and i really don't want to leave here because of her, i wont get to see her at all, and im scared we might break up.

What uni are you going to bro?
    I have the same fears when this will happen to me next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just a Bloke)
    If you're moving to university you should have the agency and capacity to say 'no thanks' to the holiday, and move-in by yourself.
    But i've never been on holiday with my family before, and its really expensive, i was originally going to trent university which started on the day i got back from the holiday, but i took my insurance choice and it starts way earlier :*(

ReputationRep:
    you need to just step out you comfort zone and do it; its normal to be nervous about uni a lot of people are. If i were you i wouldn't go on holiday with your family, your only ever gonna have one freshers week u seriously don't want to miss it and miss out on missing loads of new people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnkz7)
    What uni are you going to bro?
    I have the same fears when this will happen to me next year.
    sheffield hallam

Freshers week is the most important part of starting university - be a little selfish and think about yourself; say 'no' to the holiday and meet some new people. You will have a fab time. In regards to the relationship - 'what will be, will be'. Good luck :-)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by harrybo6)

Hello

What you are feeling is completely natural, and I understand a lot of what you are saying. They are common student worries.

However, as some of the other posters have said, you should have said 'no' to the holiday. I get that it's with your family but since being at university, I've missed family holidays. University is about independence and especially when it comes to Freshers Week and Induction Week - you really want to be there. They can be quite important - especially induction week. By the time you get there, yes true, people will have started settling down and making friends - it won't make it impossible for you to make friends but it may make it a little harder.

Also, just because you're going to university, it doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to see your girlfriend? Is there a reason you wouldn't be able to? Can she not travel to see you and vice versa? I know a lot of people that had long distance relationships whilst at university and some only say their other halves during holidays and what not. If you want to make it work, find a way too - university is important and you shouldn't let your relationship get in the way of that.

But yes, university is about independence so I'd definitely think about the decisions you are making and if they are right for you. Like I said, it won't make it impossible but it'll make it harder.

Best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.