Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Literature at Oxford - Do my AS level choices greatly inhibit my chances? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just received my GCSE results - 7A* including English Lang/Lit, History, Bio/Phys etc; 4As, 1C.
    I have chosen to do English Literature and the three Sciences for AS level to keep my options open. However, I do have an underlying ambition to get into Oxford to study English Literature.
    My question is, would it be worth changing Physics for History at AS level?
    Would I stand a good chance at getting into Oxford without History, with the 3 Sciences and English at AS level?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewNY)
    I've just received my GCSE results - 7A* including English Lang/Lit, History, Bio/Phys etc; 4As, 1C.
    I have chosen to do English Literature and the three Sciences for AS level to keep my options open. However, I do have an underlying ambition to get into Oxford to study English Literature.
    My question is, would it be worth changing Physics for History at AS level?
    Would I stand a good chance at getting into Oxford without History, with the 3 Sciences and English at AS level?

Thanks
    It depends on the individual, but generally it is a good idea to group Biology with Chemistry, and Maths with Physics. However, AS Physics keeps Maths to a minimum level, so the main challenge lies in understanding the content.

From experience, sciences are quite theoretical and don't test a lot of essay skills. If you really want to keep your options 'open', taking Maths (to AS at least) is a fantastic door-opener. Universities like to see Maths, as it boasts a 'problem-solving' ability, which become crucial for all courses later on.

English Literature pairs nicely with History. Both test different essay writing skills, and you will find that as you practice writing more in the respective, your confidence will improve tremendously; this will play a big part in quickly constructing sophisticated and fluid arguments in highly pressurised exam situations.

Another deciding factor is identifying where your genuine interests lie, and crucially, what you actually enjoy! As you probably know, AS is a big jump, so you need to choose subjects that you don't mind spending a large volume of time studying.

In terms of your Oxford ambition to study Literature, I think it would help to take at least another essay based subject. This would demonstrate a developed cultural perspective, and a strong writing profile. You would stand a better chance by doing this in my opinion, and also taking Science/Maths would present you as a more diverse and more involved character in terms of academia.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.