Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am disappointed with my grades and I did work hard for some of them. But I only got 7 GCSE's and they were mostly C's.
    English Language-C
    Maths-D
    English literature-C
    History-C
    RE-B
    Sociology-C
    Additional Science-C
    Psychology-C
    -2 year course in 1
    Or should I consider other career options?
    I didn't work hard for Sociology, English Literature and History.

ReputationRep:
    you should start considering other career options; that's not to say you can't become a lawyer, it'll just be much harder

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I know all seems really rubbish at the moment but don't worry. What subjects are you going to take at sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    Hey - anything is possible! But make sure you work really hard at a level to try and make up for it, even though GCSEs are important, A levels are a lot more important when getting into a career. Hope all goes well.

ReputationRep:
    You could still become a lawyer but you would need to work hard at your A levels. The D grade in Maths is the only really negative grade but apart from that you have a fairly good set of results compared to the national average.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to be the killjoy, but if that's the result of genuine hard work, then chances are you're not capable of becoming a lawyer, simply because most jobs in the law want levels of UCAS points which you're going to be unable to get.

However, if you didn't actually work hard, it is possible, but you need to dramatically step it up.

Of course, it could be possible that your school is terrible, or something else in life is failing you. If there aren't extenuating circumstances, I'd be worried if you set your heart on it.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to retake maths obviously but don't be sad. As long as u r still allowed to do what u want at a level just work hard from now and anything is possible

ReputationRep:
    Most universities will want atleast a C in maths and I believe it's now a legal requirement for people who failed to gain a C in English and /or Maths to retake it in Year 12. Work hard with what's left of summer and over next school year and get that C in Maths then you'll be on the right track Also get good AS/A2 Grades too so don't forget about them either.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely possible. There are many ways to become a lawyer. It is not as rigid as something like medicine. You can always do well at A-Level and go for a mediocre university who will look over your GCSEs. Or do a course at Uni with a lot of arguing, graduate with a 2:1 (or even a 1st) and then do a one year law conversion course.

The real issue is to ask why you didn't do well at GCSE. Don't mean to sound harsh, but if you can only get those grades at GCSEs then you will struggle with A-Levels, let alone law school. So either work harder or realize that you might not have the academic ability. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Can I be a lawyer with these results: English literature A, English language A, Maths B, Psychology B, History A, Geography B, Core science B, additional science A, Statistics A, Spanish B,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wm23)
    you should start considering other career options; that's not to say you can't become a lawyer, it'll just be much harder
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Austin_mint)
    Can I be a lawyer with these results: English literature A, English language A, Maths B, Psychology B, History A, Geography B, Core science B, additional science A, Statistics A, Spanish B,
    They're probably good enough to do Law. Although, not at Oxbridge or anything. And you have to step it up at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to study law to be a lawyer, you can study a different subjects- a lot of solicitors/barristers studied history, politics, a MDf language, English.. And then did a conversion course for a year

Work experience and connections to the right law firms are great too! But there is a lot of competition, so work hard for your alevels

ReputationRep:
    I worked hard but I got a D- as, my grade what can I do and I want to proceed at my studies

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.