The Student Room Group

Can I still become a lawyer with bad GCSE Grades?

I am disappointed with my grades and I did work hard for some of them. But I only got 7 GCSE's and they were mostly C's.
English Language-C
Maths-D
English literature-C
History-C
RE-B
Sociology-C
Additional Science-C
Psychology-C
-2 year course in 1
Or should I consider other career options?
I didn't work hard for Sociology, English Literature and History.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
you should start considering other career options; that's not to say you can't become a lawyer, it'll just be much harder
Hey,

I know all seems really rubbish at the moment but don't worry. What subjects are you going to take at sixth form?
Reply 3
Hey - anything is possible! But make sure you work really hard at a level to try and make up for it, even though GCSEs are important, A levels are a lot more important when getting into a career. Hope all goes well.
You could still become a lawyer but you would need to work hard at your A levels. The D grade in Maths is the only really negative grade but apart from that you have a fairly good set of results compared to the national average. :smile:
I hate to be the killjoy, but if that's the result of genuine hard work, then chances are you're not capable of becoming a lawyer, simply because most jobs in the law want levels of UCAS points which you're going to be unable to get.

However, if you didn't actually work hard, it is possible, but you need to dramatically step it up.

Of course, it could be possible that your school is terrible, or something else in life is failing you. If there aren't extenuating circumstances, I'd be worried if you set your heart on it.
You'll have to retake maths obviously but don't be sad. As long as u r still allowed to do what u want at a level just work hard from now and anything is possible
Most universities will want atleast a C in maths and I believe it's now a legal requirement for people who failed to gain a C in English and /or Maths to retake it in Year 12. Work hard with what's left of summer and over next school year and get that C in Maths then you'll be on the right track :smile: Also get good AS/A2 Grades too so don't forget about them either.
It's definitely possible. There are many ways to become a lawyer. It is not as rigid as something like medicine. You can always do well at A-Level and go for a mediocre university who will look over your GCSEs. Or do a course at Uni with a lot of arguing, graduate with a 2:1 (or even a 1st) and then do a one year law conversion course.

The real issue is to ask why you didn't do well at GCSE. Don't mean to sound harsh, but if you can only get those grades at GCSEs then you will struggle with A-Levels, let alone law school. So either work harder or realize that you might not have the academic ability. Hope this helps.
Can I be a lawyer with these results: English literature A, English language A, Maths B, Psychology B, History A, Geography B, Core science B, additional science A, Statistics A, Spanish B,
Reply 10
Original post by wm23
you should start considering other career options; that's not to say you can't become a lawyer, it'll just be much harder

This
Original post by Austin_mint
Can I be a lawyer with these results: English literature A, English language A, Maths B, Psychology B, History A, Geography B, Core science B, additional science A, Statistics A, Spanish B,

They're probably good enough to do Law. Although, not at Oxbridge or anything. And you have to step it up at A-Level.
You don't have to study law to be a lawyer, you can study a different subjects- a lot of solicitors/barristers studied history, politics, a MDf language, English.. And then did a conversion course for a year

Work experience and connections to the right law firms are great too! But there is a lot of competition, so work hard for your alevels
Reply 13
I worked hard but I got a D- as, my grade what can I do and I want to proceed at my studies
GCSES
Maths - 5
English Language - 5
English Literature - 5
DT (RMT) - 5
ART (3D DESIGN) - 5
Science (Combined) - 5,4
Geography - 4
Computer Science - 3
German (Foundation Tier) - 3
RE - 2

BTEC Health & Social Care
I am predicted D*D*D*

Uni - Thinking of doing Criminology and Psychology then do SQE Exams to become a lawyer (criminal lawyer)

What do you think of these grades?
Original post by Keri00Summers
GCSES
Maths - 5
English Language - 5
English Literature - 5
DT (RMT) - 5
ART (3D DESIGN) - 5
Science (Combined) - 5,4
Geography - 4
Computer Science - 3
RE - 2

I am predicted D*D*D*

Uni - Thinking of doing Criminology and Psychology then do SQE Exams to become a lawyer (criminal lawyer)

Do you know why your grades weren't better? If there is no good reason then, by all means start down this route, but you may find you struggle to achieve it. That's not to say it isn't worth trying - and you may well find an alternative career that suits you better along the way - one of my kids read Law and got a good degree from a good university but what he really learnt from it was that he didn't want to be a lawyer. He's very happy doing what he's now doing.
Original post by Compost
Do you know why your grades weren't better? If there is no good reason then, by all means start down this route, but you may find you struggle to achieve it. That's not to say it isn't worth trying - and you may well find an alternative career that suits you better along the way - one of my kids read Law and got a good degree from a good university but what he really learnt from it was that he didn't want to be a lawyer. He's very happy doing what he's now doing.

do you mind me asking what he is doing now?
do you mind me asking what he is doing now?

Has learnt fluent Chinese and runs a kindergarten bilingual science-focused digital learning platform in China (and is an extra in Chinese action movies). (So about as far away from law as you can get, though his original A levels were mostly Sciences - he put in lots of effort to get 5 good A levels and then a Law with French Law degree and none of it is really relevant to what he does.)

(Westerners are almost always the bad guys in Chinese movies so they need western people to fight and die in the background. He's done quite a bit of gymnastics and martial arts so he had a good time doing this).
(edited 3 years ago)
GCSES
Maths - 5
English Language - 5
English Literature - 5
DT (RMT) - 5
ART (3D DESIGN) - 5
Science (Combined) - 5,4
Geography - 4
Computer Science - 3
RE - 2

I am predicted D*D*D*

Your BTEC predictions are really good which will help. I think law is one of the few areas where the name of your uni matters so aim for the best uni you can get into - I think most Russell Groups take BTECs now and there are some excellent unis outside of the group (Bath, Loughborough, St Andrews come to mind) which would also look good on your CV so I'm guessing you wouldn't have much of an issue with getting a place
Original post by ArtisticScreech
Your BTEC predictions are really good which will help. I think law is one of the few areas where the name of your uni matters so aim for the best uni you can get into - I think most Russell Groups take BTECs now and there are some excellent unis outside of the group (Bath, Loughborough, St Andrews come to mind) which would also look good on your CV so I'm guessing you wouldn't have much of an issue with getting a place

I am planning to go to City, University of London for my joint honours or maybe change to law on results day - haven't made my mind up - I am trying to get more information on law on sqe and what happens if I choose this method of doing law or doing law from the very start.

For the course I am applying at city, I have applied to do abroad year which is said to be good on my cv then do the sqe exams and do the two training work experience and then qualify as a solicitor

What do you think of this route and the uni city?

Also for my mock that I have done, I got it back today and for one of the units I achieved 61/90 for my paper which is a D - and I am waiting for my other unit.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest