Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying to Manchester but I'm just wondering about the mix of students here? Is it diverse? Is it full of 'rahs'? What is it like for ethnic minorities- (are there many black people?) , How was the freshers week like?

Btw I don't wanna hear any 'Omg why do you care so much about race blah blah' I feel like the answer to this issue has been discussed many times and so I don't want to have to repeat myself.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^

ReputationRep:
    There is plenty of diversity here. You can get the people who like to party and/or those who primarily enjoy working/studying at uni (I am one of them). There are tons of international students and so many societies at Manchester - you shouldn't have a problem finding like-minded peers at the University.

Here are also a couple of good websites you can browse through at your own leisure:
    http://internationalsociety.org.uk/
    https://manchesterstudentsunion.com/societies

ReputationRep:
    Mostly people who couldn't get into a university in London...

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I think that if you are new to Manchester Uni and/or this year will be your first one in this city, you should check out this thread!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4293700

ReputationRep:
    bump

Normal students really and a fair few students who are big on nightlife etc

There are many people from ethnic minority backgrounds, and many of them commute into the uni because they live in neighbouring towns to Manchester (think Asian Muslims in Oldham, Rochdale etc). There are loads of international students too - I swear during the time I spent at the uni last summer, 90% of the uni students seemed international!

Otherwise, during term time, it's very mixed and laid back. It's not too laid back though and you do, of course, have to work hard to do well there.

N.B. I don't actually go to the uni, nor will be going, but I've been very involved in it via their access programme and my summer lab placement!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.