Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This personal experience especially applies to those who got a 'bad' grade in a subject they wanted to do at AS Level - it is absolutely not the end of the world, honestly.

To give you some kinda motivation, when I did my GCSEs in 2012 (fyi I dropped out at college when I was 17 and worked for a while .. explaining this so the dates make sense) I got A-C in every subject except German, which I got a D in.

Thankfully I had no intentions back then of continuing German so it was no loss.

However in September last year I returned to college and lo and behold I enrolled onto an AS German class - I had the lowest GCSE grade in that group, I had not done German for 3 years, I don't have any German heritage ... aka I was the most underprepared person ever and all the odds were against me based on past grades.

BUT the point is not to just feel sad and deflated and give up - if you got a bad grade in a subject that you're passionate about, then you can absolutely try again and use the fact that all odds are against you to be the best you can. If I hadn't had the enormous pressure that I was going to fail AS German w/o actual commitment, I wouldn't have worked my ass off like I did.

At GCSE I achieved C in Reading, C in Listening, E in Writing and E in speaking.
    At AS I achieved B in Speaking and an A in Reading, Listening, Writing = A overall.

Because I used my bad grade to drive myself forward, I managed to go up three grades when I did the A-Level.
    --
    This is just my personal experience, but honestly your GCSE grade is not your destiny and if you feel like you could have done a lot better, use that as a force to push you to work your ass off
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    :bump: great post.

Good for people as well to see that you can still do really well at A-level, in what is no doubt one of the most difficult subjects as well.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Good post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    This personal experience especially applies to those who got a 'bad' grade in a subject they wanted to do at AS Level - it is absolutely not the end of the world, honestly.

To give you some kinda motivation, when I did my GCSEs in 2012 (fyi I dropped out at college when I was 17 and worked for a while .. explaining this so the dates make sense) I got A-C in every subject except German, which I got a D in.

Thankfully I had no intentions back then of continuing German so it was no loss.

However in September last year I returned to college and lo and behold I enrolled onto an AS German class - I had the lowest GCSE grade in that group, I had not done German for 3 years, I don't have any German heritage ... aka I was the most underprepared person ever and all the odds were against me based on past grades.

BUT the point is not to just feel sad and deflated and give up - if you got a bad grade in a subject that you're passionate about, then you can absolutely try again and use the fact that all odds are against you to be the best you can. If I hadn't had the enormous pressure that I was going to fail AS German w/o actual commitment, I wouldn't have worked my ass off like I did.

At GCSE I achieved C in Reading, C in Listening, E in Writing and E in speaking.
    At AS I achieved B in Speaking and an A in Reading, Listening, Writing = A overall.

Because I used my bad grade to drive myself forward, I managed to go up three grades when I did the A-Level.
    --
    This is just my personal experience, but honestly your GCSE grade is not your destiny and if you feel like you could have done a lot better, use that as a force to push you to work your ass off
    Very good post

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.