Don't think your GCSE grades are the be all and end all!

Watch
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This personal experience especially applies to those who got a 'bad' grade in a subject they wanted to do at AS Level - it is absolutely not the end of the world, honestly.

To give you some kinda motivation, when I did my GCSEs in 2012 (fyi I dropped out at college when I was 17 and worked for a while .. explaining this so the dates make sense) I got A-C in every subject except German, which I got a D in.

Thankfully I had no intentions back then of continuing German so it was no loss.

However in September last year I returned to college and lo and behold I enrolled onto an AS German class - I had the lowest GCSE grade in that group, I had not done German for 3 years, I don't have any German heritage ... aka I was the most underprepared person ever and all the odds were against me based on past grades.

BUT the point is not to just feel sad and deflated and give up - if you got a bad grade in a subject that you're passionate about, then you can absolutely try again and use the fact that all odds are against you to be the best you can. If I hadn't had the enormous pressure that I was going to fail AS German w/o actual commitment, I wouldn't have worked my ass off like I did.

At GCSE I achieved C in Reading, C in Listening, E in Writing and E in speaking.
At AS I achieved B in Speaking and an A in Reading, Listening, Writing = A overall.

Because I used my bad grade to drive myself forward, I managed to go up three grades when I did the A-Level.
--
This is just my personal experience, but honestly your GCSE grade is not your destiny and if you feel like you could have done a lot better, use that as a force to push you to work your ass off
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:bump: great post.

Good for people as well to see that you can still do really well at A-level, in what is no doubt one of the most difficult subjects as well.
Black Rose
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
Good post!
marion771
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
This personal experience especially applies to those who got a 'bad' grade in a subject they wanted to do at AS Level - it is absolutely not the end of the world, honestly.

To give you some kinda motivation, when I did my GCSEs in 2012 (fyi I dropped out at college when I was 17 and worked for a while .. explaining this so the dates make sense) I got A-C in every subject except German, which I got a D in.

Thankfully I had no intentions back then of continuing German so it was no loss.

However in September last year I returned to college and lo and behold I enrolled onto an AS German class - I had the lowest GCSE grade in that group, I had not done German for 3 years, I don't have any German heritage ... aka I was the most underprepared person ever and all the odds were against me based on past grades.

BUT the point is not to just feel sad and deflated and give up - if you got a bad grade in a subject that you're passionate about, then you can absolutely try again and use the fact that all odds are against you to be the best you can. If I hadn't had the enormous pressure that I was going to fail AS German w/o actual commitment, I wouldn't have worked my ass off like I did.

At GCSE I achieved C in Reading, C in Listening, E in Writing and E in speaking.
At AS I achieved B in Speaking and an A in Reading, Listening, Writing = A overall.

Because I used my bad grade to drive myself forward, I managed to go up three grades when I did the A-Level.
--
This is just my personal experience, but honestly your GCSE grade is not your destiny and if you feel like you could have done a lot better, use that as a force to push you to work your ass off
Very good post
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (12)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
13.33%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (3)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise