Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that ICAS is split into TC, TPS and TPE. I'm eligible for 5 exemptions from TC due to my degree.

Can anyone give me a rough timeline of their years during ICAS (especially if you do block)? I'm looking to see what the breakdown of the year is like under the following categories;

- Work only
    - Pre-block preparation & work
    - Block
    - Revision/studying & work
    - Exams Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    I'm aware that ICAS is split into TC, TPS and TPE. I'm eligible for 5 exemptions from TC due to my degree.

Can anyone give me a rough timeline of their years during ICAS (especially if you do block)? I'm looking to see what the breakdown of the year is like under the following categories;

- Work only
    - Pre-block preparation & work
    - Block
    - Revision/studying & work
    - Exams Thank you
    Year 1: Most of your first few months until December available for client work or on training. You'll have 3-4 days class/blended learning for POT. Exam will be in mid December - 40 questions, 75% multiple choice, 25% written.

Towards the end of year one, you'll go and do your first set of TPS exams. The blocks last 6/7 weeks and are in May/June or July/August (probably half your intake will do one and the other half the other). About 6 weeks before, they send you all your pre course work, assumed knowledge revision schedule etc. You'll have to complete this and the tests of assumed knowledge in your own time prior to the start of the course. You sit two TPS subjects per block and wi have 4 mock exams over the course of the block. At the end, you have about 4 revision days between the final class day and the exam. There will also be a few home study days over the block.

After that, some people who did the May/June block will sit the next two exams in July/August.

Year Two: For anyone who is yet to sit the final two TPS exams, they will dot hear in November/December.

Towards the end of this year, around July/August, you go to classes for two weeks for TPE. You don't learn any new material but just go over case studies from prior exams. This exam is entirely computer based and you are allowed all your notes from prior study in with you (although most will have an electronic version on their computer). An Internet connection is not allowed for this exam.

Year Three: TPS exam in the middle of November. Results by mid December. There is also a business ethics course which comprises an online learning course and a report writing course which you have to pass although failing doesn't really count as an exam failure and many people do fail this the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Turner)
    Year 1: Most of your first few months until December available for client work or on training. You'll have 3-4 days class/blended learning for POT. Exam will be in mid December - 40 questions, 75% multiple choice, 25% written.

Towards the end of year one, you'll go and do your first set of TPS exams. The blocks last 6/7 weeks and are in May/June or July/August (probably half your intake will do one and the other half the other). About 6 weeks before, they send you all your pre course work, assumed knowledge revision schedule etc. You'll have to complete this and the tests of assumed knowledge in your own time prior to the start of the course. You sit two TPS subjects per block and wi have 4 mock exams over the course of the block. At the end, you have about 4 revision days between the final class day and the exam. There will also be a few home study days over the block.

After that, some people who did the May/June block will sit the next two exams in July/August.

Year Two: For anyone who is yet to sit the final two TPS exams, they will dot hear in November/December.

Towards the end of this year, around July/August, you go to classes for two weeks for TPE. You don't learn any new material but just go over case studies from prior exams. This exam is entirely computer based and you are allowed all your notes from prior study in with you (although most will have an electronic version on their computer). An Internet connection is not allowed for this exam.

Year Three: TPS exam in the middle of November. Results by mid December. There is also a business ethics course which comprises an online learning course and a report writing course which you have to pass although failing doesn't really count as an exam failure and many people do fail this the first time.
    Thank you, that was really helpful! Just to clarify, did you mean that the TPE exam was November of third year? I know of some people who got their results for TPE in July, I imagine they must've sat the exam at a later sitting than the November one? Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that was really helpful! Just to clarify, did you mean that the TPE exam was November of third year? I know of some people who got their results for TPE in July, I imagine they must've sat the exam at a later sitting than the November one? Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.
    Were they EY? They sit TPS over two years, at the end of year one and end of year two. Alternatively it may have been a re-sit?

ReputationRep:
    As TSK90 suggests, there is another TPE sitting in May. Often taken by Tax and school leaver trainees as it seems to fit into their schedules better.

Others may be resitting TPE or they missed the previous November sitting because they were still sitting TPS exams when the first TPE block began in August.

If you perform poorly in the final mocks (say <45%), the firm may force you to defer to the next exam sitting - e.g. took the June course but exam deferred to August. If a deferred exam was failed in August, you'd have to resit it in December. You can't start the second TPS block until you've passed the exams for the first. Depending on the class combinations at your exam centre you might not be able to sit the second block until August, which rules you out for the November TPE sitting.

Same story if you're booked to do the August/December blocks but have to resit an August exam in December first and can't sit the second block in June.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.