Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was browsing jobs on Indeed and some recruitment ones popped up, although I have no interest in joining that industry. What surprised me was that some of them were asking for graduates with 2:1 degrees, which made me wonder: won't most graduates with 2:1s and above have better options? I always thought that recruitment was similar to sales and involved cold calling and emailing, with strict targets. Not many people can handle sales jobs because of that.

ReputationRep:
    What a dumbass question. Not everyone get the jobs they want and have to deal with what they get.. there are probably tons of graduates who are working in retail who would take being a recruiter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proflash)
    What a dumbass question. Not everyone get the jobs they want and have to deal with what they get.. there are probably tons of graduates who are working in retail who would take being a recruiter.
    If you have done sales before (as I was duped into doing part-time as a Fresher), you'll know just how demoralising it is. Almost anything beats it, save being a cleaner, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty much a job you do if you can't find anything better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    If you have done sales before (as I was duped into doing part-time as a Fresher), you'll know just how demoralising it is. Almost anything beats it, save being a cleaner, perhaps.
    Wow that is such an ignorance is unreal.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I was browsing jobs on Indeed and some recruitment ones popped up, although I have no interest in joining that industry. What surprised me was that some of them were asking for graduates with 2:1 degrees, which made me wonder: won't most graduates with 2:1s and above have better options? I always thought that recruitment was similar to sales and involved cold calling and emailing, with strict targets. Not many people can handle sales jobs because of that.
    Yes. And some make a killing because of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    It's pretty much a job you do if you can't find anything better.
    For at least most of the part it is, I was just wondering whether there were people out there, (albeit a few) who want to work in recruitment.

ReputationRep:
    My friend's brother studied law and went on to be a recruiter because he offered a better work/life balance and benefits package than the law firms he applied for. He loves his job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes. And some make a killing because of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the same with sales; someone with the right personality will make loads of money, but it seems like most people hate having to cold call and being yelled/sworn at. One would need incredibly thick skin.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I would LOVE to work in recruitment... but only when my job is simple; writing and posting the advertisement, reading CV's, shortlisting candidates, holding telephone interviews, holding actual interviews, writing all the letters etc... would love it. My job being getting other people a job. Changing people's lives. Best feeling and they pay so well as well.

But unfortunately that's not how it seems to work anymore. The company's HR seems to do all that while all these "recruitment consultants" do is cold call to get more companies to use their database of clients. I'm not interested in cold calling at all. That's probably most of these jobs you've seen on Indeed as well, as I've seen them as well and think I know exactly what you mean.

Not like I'm qualified to work in recruitment anyway. Oh well.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It was only juuuust a dreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaammmmm.....

ReputationRep:
    I technically did. Although I never worked for an agency (only in-house) and my role was never commission based.

My role never really felt like a sales job and was far more interesting than working for an agency (in my opinion).

But I know enough people who worked on the agency side. Some were earning six figure annual salaries (mainly through commission) before they hit their mid twenties while I was on a fraction of what they earned.

It's not for everyone. But in the same way that selling cars isn't for everyone. Those who are good at it though are likely to enjoy it and reap the benefits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The thing is though, regarding what J-SP said, it's only really a job for people who are obsessed with money, like completely obsessed.. When i was interested in it I found a vacancy for what looked like a dream recruitment job asking to ring them instead of submit a CV.. So i did, and they seemed quite impressed but somewhere down the conversation they asked about my ambitions and one of the things I mentioned was travelling, and they were just like "... Ah... Maybe this isn't the career for you then. We work for so many hours outside of work as well as inside that there's no chance you would have enough time to go travelling" and from there just kind of said think about what you want to do, if you're still interested email us.. which i did.. no reply.

That's what made me lose interest completely in recruitment. Why go out and earn that amount of money if it costs you the free time to spend it how you want? It's only really for people who's main goal in life is to drive to a nice job in a nice car before coming back to a nice house, and have tons and tons of money to throw into a nice big pile, which isn't my main goal in life.

So yeah. It's not for everyone, at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FightToWin)
    The thing is though, regarding what J-SP said, it's only really a job for people who are obsessed with money, like completely obsessed.. When i was interested in it I found a vacancy for what looked like a dream recruitment job asking to ring them instead of submit a CV.. So i did, and they seemed quite impressed but somewhere down the conversation they asked about my ambitions and one of the things I mentioned was travelling, and they were just like "... Ah... Maybe this isn't the career for you then. We work for so many hours outside of work as well as inside that there's no chance you would have enough time to go travelling" and from there just kind of said think about what you want to do, if you're still interested email us.. which i did.. no reply.

That's what made me lose interest completely in recruitment. Why go out and earn that amount of money if it costs you the free time to spend it how you want? It's only really for people who's main goal in life is to drive to a nice job in a nice car before coming back to a nice house, and have tons and tons of money to throw into a nice big pile, which isn't my main goal in life.

So yeah. It's not for everyone, at all.
    This reminds me of when I was working as a contractor; it was an unfulfilling job and everyone was obsessed with making money. Long overtime hours and a long commute because the place was in the middle of nowhere = low quality of life. The pay was good for a graduate wage, so it worked for me since I was saving up for a masters. On the other hand, being in jobs like that permanently sounds like a very depressing life; being so focused on making money that you can't enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    What tends to be the average pay in this sector? For example a grad going into their first job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jokesonyoum8)
    What tends to be the average pay in this sector? For example a grad going into their first job
    Agency recruitment - depends on the location, what sectors/type of roles you work on and how much commission you make. You could be earning less than £15k as a graduate, if you are not making any commission from sales. You could be earning over £100k including commission if you are working in London with high profile clients/working of difficult vacancies to fill.

In-house recruitment pays more basic but tends to not have a commission structure. Entry level roles tend to pay a similar amount to the average graduate programme in the region.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FightToWin)
    The thing is though, regarding what J-SP said, it's only really a job for people who are obsessed with money, like completely obsessed..
    I never said that. And I don't think it is just for the money obsessed - I've seen plenty of people do it who just like the human interaction side of it and the money is a bonus.

Being a good sales person doesn't automatically make you money obsessed either. Some people really benefit from being in environment where you are set high goals/targets to meet each month. Just because they are good at their job doesn't mean they are obsessed with money, they just benefit from being paid more through their success.

Agency recruitment is also known to be highly sociable. I think a lot of people like it as it tends to be a young and dynamic environment with a lot of perks outside of the pay - very much a work hard, play hard mentality.

But it does have woeful drop out rates where people either do it as a career plan B (or C, D, E etc) or think it would be good and they soon realise they are not cut out for it. If you don't make any commission, you or the agency tend to push you out the door early on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.