Difference between Biological Sciences degree vs Biology degree Watch

Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can anyone give me any insight on the differences? Is it a major difference?

I hold an offer for Biology at Southampton but regret not putting Cardiff as my firm as it was a Biological Sciences degree which appeared to be more flexible, however am not sure if I am over thinking it...
Firefly13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think there is much difference between them really. I'm doing a Biology degree, but in my first year the undergraduate office emailed us telling us they were thinking of changing the name of the course to Biological Sciences for the next year and asked our opinion on it. Most people seemed to think Biological Sciences 'sounded' harder and included more from the other sciences, while Biology sounded easier. They changed the name, but the course stayed exactly the same so I think the name just depends on what the university thinks will attract more students. The course at Cardiff may be more flexible, but that will just be because of the way they run the course, rather than the name

I know people at Cardiff and Southampton and they've all really enjoyed their time at the university, so unless you really hate Southampton or the course I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Akbar2k7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on the Uni, Usually Biology degree's might be more broad maybe some ecology and a more big picture focus I think.

While Biological sciences are more about Biology as a tool for human advancement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (136)
18.21%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.14%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.19%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (227)
30.39%

Watched Threads