Nervous/scared to start university

Watch
Holamate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone I am new to this site. I will be starting university in September and will not know anyone from my course and this is stressing me out as all the way through high school/college I was with the same friend group who will be now separated. I am an introvert kind of person and quite shy therefore worried I will not make friends during university and this is terrifying me and leading to me stressing out and not enjoying my holidays. Please can anyone who experienced this give me advice on how to deal with this.
Ajsc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sure you'll be fine! There are hundreds of students feeling the same as you, just don't think too much about it and go with the flow.
Holamate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Ajsc)
I'm sure you'll be fine! There are hundreds of students feeling the same as you, just don't think too much about it and go with the flow.
Thanks for the reply. I keep telling myself this but i just keep worrying.
dp247
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Holamate)
Hi everyone I am new to this site. I will be starting university in September and will not know anyone from my course and this is stressing me out as all the way through high school/college I was with the same friend group who will be now separated. I am an introvert kind of person and quite shy therefore worried I will not make friends during university and this is terrifying me and leading to me stressing out and not enjoying my holidays. Please can anyone who experienced this give me advice on how to deal with this.
Hey Holamate, welcome to TSR? Which university and course are you studying at? I'm about to go into my fourth year and went through a similar kind of situation way back when I started uni, so I know how you feel (I only half knew one other person who was in different accommodation and on a different course).

First up, don't worry about making friends! I know it's easy for me to say that, but everyone is in the same boat when they first start at uni. Try finding some of your coursemates and flatmates on Facebook or TSR so you have someone you can recognize when you get there, especially since talking over the internet is often easier than face to face to begin with.

Secondly, if you feel comfortable doing so, try get out and join in Fresher's Week - your university/SU will have lots of activities running that aren't just club nights - they might have trips, casual games or movie nights. More often than not, there's something for everyone!

Lastly, do some little things - things like leaving your bedroom door open during the first few weeks of term or joining your flatmates in the kitchen/living space can help you!

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (140)
14.39%
I'm not sure (42)
4.32%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (291)
29.91%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (475)
48.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed