Can't move files onto external drive

Watch this thread
Runescapian
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm really hoping there's some computer/tech experts on here, TSR is my last hope.

Since about June, my computer has decided to hate me. I run Windows 8 (I think?, could be Windows 7) and up until June, downloading music and then putting it on my phone/SD card was fine. And then all of a sudden it won't do this. Whenever I attempt to move files onto my phone it will come up "WINDOWS EXPLORER. EXE IS NOT RESPONDING" and then close everything. It's also not letting me move word documents on to memory sticks, or anything.

Is there anyway to fix this? And sadly Windows 10 is not free anymore so upgrading to that isn't an option (I didn't want to as everyone said how **** it was)

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated X I've tired almost everything at this point
dp247
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Runescapian)
I'm really hoping there's some computer/tech experts on here, TSR is my last hope.

Since about June, my computer has decided to hate me. I run Windows 8 (I think?, could be Windows 7) and up until June, downloading music and then putting it on my phone/SD card was fine. And then all of a sudden it won't do this. Whenever I attempt to move files onto my phone it will come up "WINDOWS EXPLORER. EXE IS NOT RESPONDING" and then close everything. It's also not letting me move word documents on to memory sticks, or anything.

Is there anyway to fix this? And sadly Windows 10 is not free anymore so upgrading to that isn't an option (I didn't want to as everyone said how **** it was)

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated X I've tired almost everything at this point
Sounds like either a virus or system file corruption.

First up, if you have anti-virus, do a scan. Download MalwareBytes too and scan with that.

When all that's done, it may be worth running a system file check. To do this, use the search tool to search for Command Prompt. Right click on it and run it as administrator. In the box that appears, type sfc /scannow. (Remove that full stop). This will scan Windows' system files to check everything is in order. When this has done, reboot your computer and post here if you're still having problems.
James2138
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

I do have a workaround to this problem.

Create a new user on Windows, and make it an administrator account. Set it up and you may be able to move files on using that account. Reply if it works or not!
Runescapian
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by James2138)
I do have a workaround to this problem.

Create a new user on Windows, and make it an administrator account. Set it up and you may be able to move files on using that account. Reply if it works or not!
That was something I tried back I. July and it did work, but it does not work anymore now. Last night I found a way to move my music files using real player rather than windows explorer, however I'm not sure what to do about my word documents (essays, etc.) as it won't let me move it to email either.
username1726117
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Did you change anything in June? Install a particular software perhaps?
James2138
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
That was something I tried back I. July and it did work, but it does not work anymore now. Last night I found a way to move my music files using real player rather than windows explorer, however I'm not sure what to do about my word documents (essays, etc.) as it won't let me move it to email either.
System restore perhaps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (21)
25.93%
It went fairly well (32)
39.51%
It didn't go too well (16)
19.75%
TERRIBLE! (12)
14.81%

Watched Threads