Turn on thread page Beta

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of applying to Manchester for Computer Science?? I know that they are ranked very well for it and that it is a fairly difficult course to get onto but am I being realistic in applying with ABBC at AS?? Has anyone had an offer to study Comp. Sci. there before? If so, was it thier standard ABB offer??

I know plenty about the Uni but I dont know much about the chances of me actually getting in. I think that (with some serious work on my part) I could get ABBB / ABBC at A-Level. Is it worth me applying??

ALSO, this is a paste from their site...

"The information given on these pages is for guidance only. Students are admitted to our programmes on the basis of their complete academic profile, not on the basis of their performance in one examination or qualification. In particular, we pay attention to the grades that you achieve, the age at which you take examinations and the number of attempts that you require to pass an examination. Our expectation is that you should take examinations at the expected age and pass them at the first attempt."

Does the last sentence mean that I can't resit any AS exams to top-up my UMS marks without losing credibility??? :confused:

(Original post by Leekey)
    "... Our expectation is that you should take examinations at the expected age and pass them at the first attempt."

Does the last sentence mean that I can't resit any AS exams to top-up my UMS marks without losing credibility??? :confused:
    No, universities wouldn't know, in theory, that you will sit any AS results any time between receiving your UCAS form and your final A-level grades next year.

In my interpretation, it means that they highly prefer students who apply through their AS results, over those who take a gap year to boost their grades (consequently this explains the last part of the sentence, the gap year people resitting will be sitting exams at an older age).

Of course, to ensure perfect clarity, it is best to consult the admission tutors from the university.

I meant to say "No, universities wouldn't know, in theory, that you will resit any AS modules..."

(Original post by Vin)
    Of course, to ensure perfect clarity, it is best to consult the admission tutors from the university.
    I really hope you right about that (I nned the chance to get my Maths grade up to a higher B or even an A if possible). I have contacted the people at Manchester and am awaiting thier reply so hopefully I will get the same answer from them as you have suggested!!!

So, only one big question to be answered now....am I being realistic in applying for a course which (Im told) usually requires ABB??? I know that I could meet the grades but what are the chances of me actually getting an offer from them??

(Original post by Leekey)
    So, only one big question to be answered now....am I being realistic in applying for a course which (Im told) usually requires ABB??? I know that I could meet the grades but what are the chances of me actually getting an offer from them??
    If you really want to do the course and at their university, then I don't see why not, especially since you're quite certain about satisfying their typical offer requirements.

Anyway, about chances of you getting an offer depends on many factors - personal statement, teachers' reference, predicted grades and perhaps any interview they may require. It also depends on the other applications for the same course.

With your AS results, you're likely to get similar letter grades from your teachers as predicted grades, thus the university will see that you're capable of satisfying the requirement, so your chances of getting an offer are reasonable.

(Original post by Vin)
    If you really want to do the course and at their university, then I don't see why not, especially since you're quite certain about satisfying their typical offer requirements.

Anyway, about chances of you getting an offer depends on many factors - personal statement, teachers' reference, predicted grades and perhaps any interview they may require. It also depends on the other applications for the same course.

With your AS results, you're likely to get similar letter grades from your teachers as predicted grades, thus the university will see that you're capable of satisfying the requirement, so your chances of getting an offer are reasonable.
    Thanks for the response, I think my teachers will give me around the the same grades as my AS grades (hopeufully) so they should be reasonable for the admissions people. If my tutor gives me a bad reference after I got an A in his Electronics class, I will be killing him IMMEDIATELY!!! That leaves me needing a good personal statemant, I will be starting to draft this soon and hopefully it will turn out OK.

Thanks again for the advice!!!!!

PS - Manchesters policy is not to interview applicants before making them an offer.....YAY!!!

ReputationRep:
    Most universities don't interview these days anyway .

(Original post by Nylex)
    Most universities don't interview these days anyway .
    Nylex,

Did Birmingham interview you???

On thier site (and some other Uni's) it says they value "experience of programming languages". Any idea on how experienced? Did they ask you about anything like this??? :confused:

I dunno about birmingham or manchester, but i applied to do computer science, and i know absolutely nothing about programming. warwick said at their open day that they would prefer, verging on expect, some programming experience, but they made me an offer without interview anyway. most comp sci courses allow for people with no previous experience, as far as i know - the only time i found it a problem was when i was asked in interviews: so, if you dont know anything about the subject, why do you want to spend 3 years on it?.....
    btw, i got abbc at as, but my grades didnt go on my ucas form, just my teachers references and predictions.

(Original post by Unregistered)
    I dunno about birmingham or manchester, but i applied to do computer science, and i know absolutely nothing about programming. warwick said at their open day that they would prefer, verging on expect, some programming experience, but they made me an offer without interview anyway. most comp sci courses allow for people with no previous experience, as far as i know - the only time i found it a problem was when i was asked in interviews: so, if you dont know anything about the subject, why do you want to spend 3 years on it?.....
    btw, i got abbc at as, but my grades didnt go on my ucas form, just my teachers references and predictions.

What kind of offers did you get and from which Universities???
    Can you remember what your teachers predicted you???

(Sorry for the barrage of questions but I really am trying to get this soted in my head ASAP...

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.