Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I got A*s in English Language and Literature, B in Geography, a Pass in ICT and a C in Biology. I couldn't be happier with my English results! That's kind of where the celebration ends. I got Ds in Chemistry, Physics, French (somehow! I was predicted to pass French and I found the exams super easy and somehow I didn't get that all important C that counts towards A-level requirements), Music.... aaaaaand Maths. Bloody maths, I always knew I was going to flunk it I'm pretty hurt right now, and I cried when I opened my results, but not for the right reasons.

I wanted to study these A-Levels: Media Studies, Film Studies and Creative Writing.

My head teacher is going to get my Chemistry remarked as I was really close to a a C, and potentially my maths.

Right now I am really scared stuff isn't going to work out. I've changed my mind about the original sixth form that I've got a place at (and I have a phone interview with them tomorrow, eek!) and instead want to go to this smaller sixth form that my head teacher recommended and she's also a part of the team there, so she'd be able to put a good word in for me.

I'm probably going to have to retake maths, which sucks considering my en devours are creative and language based, I loathe maths so much and have never enjoyed it. I'm just hurt because I thought I'd smashed the maths exams for once
    Everyone is proud of me and thinks I've done really well and grown as a person, but I'm personally quite disappointed myself as I know I'm capable of much better. I was having some anxiety and depression issues during my exam season (moreso than I usually do) but that didn't stop me from acing English so I don't really know...

Did I do badly? Can I still have a future? Specifically, will I still be able to do A-levels if I get a C on my remark (likely alongside a maths retake) and eventually go on to somewhere like UEA or even a specialized film school?Please help, I'm so gutted and I'm going away on holiday Saturday, the last thing I want is to be stressed out all week

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse you still have a future, the world hasn't stopped spinning and you are still alive.....your parents very much love you and you have a decent set of friends who still give two shits about you.

Just do what you enjoy, you will turn out pretty damn good at it. For example, I have this obsession with investing, I make pretty good money from it and I teach others how to invest as well.

Here is a quote from one of my heroes, Warren Buffett....

“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonepunkguy)
    So I got A*s in English Language and Literature, B in Geography, a Pass in ICT and a C in Biology. That's kind of where the celebration ends. I got Ds in Chemistry, Physics, French (somehow! I was predicted to pass French and I found the exams super easy and somehow I didn't get that all important C that counts towards A-level requirements), Music.... aaaaaand Maths. Bloody maths, I always knew I was going to flunk it I'm pretty hurt right now, and I cried when I opened my results, but not for the right reasons.

I wanted to study these A-Levels: Media Studies, Film Studies and Creative Writing.

My head teacher is going to get my Chemistry remarked as I was really close to a a C, and potentially my maths.

Right now I am really scared stuff isn't going to work out. I've changed my mind about the original sixth form that I've got a place at (and I have a phone interview with them tomorrow, eek!) and instead want to go to this smaller sixth form that my head teacher recommended and she's also a part of the team there, so she'd be able to put a good word in for me.

I'm probably going to have to retake maths, which sucks considering my en devours are creative and language based, I loathe maths so much and have never enjoyed it. I'm just hurt because I thought I'd smashed the maths exams for once
    Everyone is proud of me and thinks I've done really well and grown as a person, but I'm personally quite disappointing in myself as I know I'm capable of much better. I was having some anxiety and depression issues during my exam season (moreso than I usually do) but that didn't stop me from acing English so I don't really know...

Did I do badly? Can I still have a future? Specifically, will I still be able to do A-levels if I get a C on my remark (likely alongside a maths retake) and eventually go on to somewhere like UEA or even a specialized film school?Please help, I'm so gutted and I'm going away on holiday Saturday, the last thing I want is to be stressed out all week

I'm really sorry you didn't get what you wanted but congratulations on your english result!!! The subjects you want to do require english and you've got good GCSES in english to do the A Levels you want but make sure you double check what the specific entry requirement is for the subjects you want to do at your sixth form. As for the maths those that don't achieve the C grade or above have to retake it. I understand you don't want to do anything maths related as a career but if you are planning on going to university most universities expect at least a C grade or above in maths and english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMR16)
    I'm really sorry you didn't get what you wanted but congratulations on your english result!!! The subjects you want to do require english and you've got good GCSES in english to do the A Levels you want but make sure you double check what the specific entry requirement is for the subjects you want to do at your sixth form. As for the maths those that don't achieve the C grade or above have to retake it. I understand you don't want to do anything maths related as a career but if you are planning on going to university most universities expect at least a C grade or above in maths and english
    Thank you,
    I'm aware I'll have to retake. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it remarked first, but failing getting a C on the remark then yeah, I'll have to retake it alongside my A-levels.

Hopefully the remarks for Chem and Maths come out ok...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm so sorry that today hasn't gone as well as you'd hoped :console: That must hurt after so much hard work.

However, from the sounds of it, you're organised and sensible, and you absolutely have a future! Good job for already sorting things with your potential sixth forms, that's really proactive and it sounds as if you have a good chance at going to the smaller one, like you want to.

As you've said, maths will probably need to be retaken if it doesn't go up in the remark, simple because so many jobs/courses require at least a C in it That could be done alongside your A levels, although it will obviously require some discipline if you'd be self studying.

With regard to universities, you can start looking into entry requirements on the UCAS course search on their website. Unfortunately I know very little about arts related courses, however many of them place a lot more emphasis on a portfolio of sorts than your grades, so I can't imagine this holding you back as you seem so dedicated. Check the websites though, don't take that as gospel.

I really hope things work out for you. Best of luck for your phone interview tomorrow as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I'm so sorry that today hasn't gone as well as you'd hoped :console: That must hurt after so much hard work.

However, from the sounds of it, you're organised and sensible, and you absolutely have a future! Good job for already sorting things with your potential sixth forms, that's really proactive and it sounds as if you have a good chance at going to the smaller one, like you want to.

As you've said, maths will probably need to be retaken if it doesn't go up in the remark, simple because so many jobs/courses require at least a C in it That could be done alongside your A levels, although it will obviously require some discipline if you'd be self studying.

With regard to universities, you can start looking into entry requirements on the UCAS course search on their website. Unfortunately I know very little about arts related courses, however many of them place a lot more emphasis on a portfolio of sorts than your grades, so I can't imagine this holding you back as you seem so dedicated. Check the websites though, don't take that as gospel.

I really hope things work out for you. Best of luck for your phone interview tomorrow as well
    Thank you so much! I'm going to be getting in contact with my head about her idea of the other sixth form, most likely tomorrow.

I'm hoping my maths is a C on remark but if not, wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've had my phone interview with the original Sixth Form, they've put me down to do an applied diploma in Media (as I had enough grades to do a diploma but not A levels) as well as their retake GCSE Maths course but I told the guy that I'm keeping my options open and that I'm considering a second Sixth Form (which he said was a great place) and he said if I get a place there and decide to go to them, just send an email. Either way I have this to fall back on!

ReputationRep:
    Amazing news: the smaller Sixth Form have let me in to do A-levels anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonepunkguy)
    So I got A*s in English Language and Literature, B in Geography, a Pass in ICT and a C in Biology. I couldn't be happier with my English results! That's kind of where the celebration ends. I got Ds in Chemistry, Physics, French (somehow! I was predicted to pass French and I found the exams super easy and somehow I didn't get that all important C that counts towards A-level requirements), Music.... aaaaaand Maths. Bloody maths, I always knew I was going to flunk it I'm pretty hurt right now, and I cried when I opened my results, but not for the right reasons.

Everyone is proud of me and thinks I've done really well and grown as a person, but I'm personally quite disappointed myself as I know I'm capable of much better. I was having some anxiety and depression issues during my exam season (moreso than I usually do) but that didn't stop me from acing English so I don't really know...

With French that was exactly what happened to me. I sat edexcel French and thought a smashed the reading exam being I got an a* in it. I was so confident I didn't bother taking my extra time. I thought the listening exam was, in comparison, not the best but definitely did NOT expect to comfort with a U. I got a B in the reading exam and my controlled assessment was a t an overall C. Apparently ( according to my results sheet) I got an Overall D! Which I really don't understand. My French loved my class work and really believed in me. She let me do higher easily as I came out with an A in the reading kick exam in December and a C in the listening- I feel I let her down so badly because by the end of it I along with one other girl was the only one attending her French lunchtime sessions and was doing well
    Either the examiner marking my exam wasn't paying attention or I was being too confident
    Either way, I lost an ebaac

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so sad. Its not the end of the world-especially as you don't want to have anything to do with the sciences or maths anymore. You've aced your English exams and that's what matters if that is truly what you want to take forward. If the remark doesn't go in your favour, then work hard ( not saying you didn't )and retake maths and that would be the end of it!!! Well done for English you've done brilliantly!!! You've truly got a future in the creative field. However you may not be able to do a fourth subject so be prepared to be told this and remember even those that are A/A* students struggle with four a levels and some simply don't consider it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.