Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After my gcse results my parents finally allowed me to get a ps4? Question is should i buy it now or wait till the ps4 neo comes out - if it comes out

ReputationRep:
    Go for a 3DS XL, miles better.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Normal PS4, unless you want to game in 4k and use VR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Games aren't going to be in 4k. PS4 will just be 'capable' of 4k content, such as UHD Movies etc.

My advice: Wait for the PS4 Slim to come out.

Neo seems like a bit of an unnecessary extravagance for those who don't have a 4k TV to begin with.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Buy a PC.

Okay the serious answer is to wait for the PS4 Slim/Neo official releases and then buy a PS4. You'll get the same basic console at a discounted price to move older stock. Or buy a Slim if the pricing isn't too different. The Slim and original PS4 are expected to be similarly specced so differences will be marginal.

The PS4 Neo isn't in my opinion a waste. The Slim is predicted to be VR ready (although whether that's true or not remains to be seen). The 4K playback is more of a gimmick than a real feature. If you've got supported hardware/content (4K TV, 4K videos to watch) then you can actually make use of it. Otherwise it's not worth paying extra for. And the PS4 runs fine so the performance differences won't be important.

Of course this assumes you're paying. If money wasn't an issue and you'd get anything regardless you might as well wait for the Neo. It'll be better. Not necessarily worth the money for the upgrade but it will be better. If there's a set budget then take the money you'd save buying a discounted PS4 and buy same games.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Wait what.
    I thought the normal PS4 can allow PSVR?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Wait what.

It seems it can, but a few months ago I saw a video saying it wouldn't because of low specs, but from what I've read now that seems to be untrue.

(Original post by Fango_Jett)
    Games aren't going to be in 4k. PS4 will just be 'capable' of 4k content, such as UHD Movies etc.

Neo seems like a bit of an unnecessary extravagance for those who don't have a 4k TV to begin with.
    ahh, seems like an unnecessary upgrade then.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wait what.

It seems it can, but a few months ago I saw a video saying it wouldn't because of low specs, but from what I've read now that seems to be untrue.

(Original post by Fango_Jett)

ahh, seems like an unnecessary upgrade then.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wait what.
    It might be able to, but it would probably make you feel sick and like your back in the early to mid noughties, i.e. in actual reality it can't.

ReputationRep:
    Wait what.
    You need to buy the camera accessory as well I think. PSCamera or whatever.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It might be able to, but it would probably make you feel sick and like your back in the early to mid noughties, i.e. in actual reality it can't.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.