Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does my brother even have a reason for cutting contact? watch

Announcements

The story goes that my older brother of ten years cut contact with me once he got married and had some children. He hasn't the greatest relationship with our mum and we're also half brothers. Obviously there is a much greater story here on why he left home, where me and my mum went, who my brother is, etc - but really, I just feel ever so slightly emotionally attached that I want to figure out what me, his younger brother (he'd of been 22 when he stopped speaking to me, so that would of made me 12), could of done to him that makes him not want to speak to me.

Opinions only please, I didn't sign up for Jeremy Kyle so chill out sunshine.

PS - Hi TSR, my name is anon. I'm new. How you doing?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're ever gonna get the actual answer without asking him; though if he never had a good relationship with his mum and cut things off with her, that is likely to be the cause of it.

I say this because I will probably end up doing the same thing. My mum and I have a terrible relationship and once I go to uni I will probably cut all contact, which will ultimately mean all my siblings get cut out too.

(Original post by Inexorably)
    I don't think you're ever gonna get the actual answer without asking him; though if he never had a good relationship with his mum and cut things off with her, that is likely to be the cause of it.
    Well that's good for me the, because I'm turning 18 soon and I'll go knock on his door and have a chat with him.

Thx.

Bump.

Can I have more people's views? Last time I'll try and push this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The story goes that my older brother of ten years cut contact with me once he got married and had some children. He hasn't the greatest relationship with our mum and we're also half brothers. Obviously there is a much greater story here on why he left home, where me and my mum went, who my brother is, etc - but really, I just feel ever so slightly emotionally attached that I want to figure out what me, his younger brother (he'd of been 22 when he stopped speaking to me, so that would of made me 12), could of done to him that makes him not want to speak to me.

Opinions only please, I didn't sign up for Jeremy Kyle so chill out sunshine.

PS - Hi TSR, my name is anon. I'm new. How you doing?!?!?!
    Of course you feel emotionally attached - he's your brother. I doubt it's anything you yourself have done - some people just can't do 'happy families' with their own families.

You also said that he didn't have the best relationship with your mother. My brother can be the same - he thinks that because everything has worked out well for him thus far, he has all the right answers and refuses to accept that our parents just might know better than him. I don't know what happened between you and your brother and your mum, but if that's the case, then there's nothing that you can do - you'll have to wait for him to make the first move in reestablishing contact. I hope that makes you feel better. x

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Crankyla)
    Of course you feel emotionally attached - he's your brother. I doubt it's anything you yourself have done - some people just can't do 'happy families' with their own families.

You also said that he didn't have the best relationship with your mother. My brother can be the same - he thinks that because everything has worked out well for him thus far, he has all the right answers and refuses to accept that our parents just might know better than him. I don't know what happened between you and your brother and your mum, but if that's the case, then there's nothing that you can do - you'll have to wait for him to make the first move in reestablishing contact. I hope that makes you feel better. x
    Sort of like that, yeah. Pretty close, really.

Well I'm not going to wait for him. What I'm waiting for is to turn 18 and then go there and see if he does the right thing and buy me a pint or if he shuns me away. I wont try to predict anything because to be honest, I barley know the ****. Last saw him, as I said, when I was 12.

He's so full of this ******** rage about something I have no clue about, and he's blocked me on every website there is. I doubt if he has even searched my name to see a picture of me. So it'll be a shock when he opens the door and has to look up to see me.

Thanks Crankyla. Good insight.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.