The Student Room Group

Failed AS maths, should I carry on ?

So I just failrd as maths and I want to go uni next year, I got a D's in the core modules and a u in s1. My college has given me a chance to carry-on to a2 next year. The options I currently have are
1-do 2 A2s and 2 As's
2-carry on to a2 maths
3-do 2 a2s and a btec(equivalent to 2 alevels(
How hard is is a2 maths and if I do carry on how should I revise for it through out that year ,thanks.
Original post by How's life???
So I just failrd as maths and I want to go uni next year, I got a D's in the core modules and a u in s1. My college has given me a chance to carry-on to a2 next year. The options I currently have are
1-do 2 A2s and 2 As's
2-carry on to a2 maths
How hard is is a2 maths and if I do carry on how should I revise for it through out that year ,thanks.

I'm sorry to say, but with those sort of grades I'd probably expect you to achieve a D overall in Maths after re-sits. If you are happy with that then crack on
wow. you won't be able to understand A2 maths if you failed your AS. Best to do AS again and do A2 next year. if you do A2 and As at same time. the amount of work you have to do, it will be too much. You need to learn basic again.
It is more difficult at A2, but not very hard. Considering you got a D in core, I think you would find it difficult to keep up with A2 and resit AS modules, unless it was a fluke or something, but it's not impossible; there was a girl in my class who managed to do it with a D at AS. I'd suggest carrying on with maths, but work very hard or if resitting the year is an option, do that..

I emailed some universities and they said they like to see a full workload at A level, so doing 2 A levels and 2 AS' might put you at a disadvantage depending on where you wanna go.
Reply 4
Original post by How's life???
next year, I got a D's in the core modules and a u in s1. My college has given me a chance to carry-on to a2 next year. The options I currently have are
1-do 2 A2s and 2 As's
2-carry on to a2 maths

Solve all the textbook questions and past papers then you'll get an A★

very simple, but not easy
I never really revised for maths this year I just left it too late
Original post by nemoshish
wow. you won't be able to understand A2 maths if you failed your AS. Best to do AS again and do A2 next year. if you do A2 and As at same time. the amount of work you have to do, it will be too much. You need to learn basic again.

I don't really want to waste another year
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest