Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In English Language I got 268 UMS which was one mark off an A*. I got:

71/80 for coursework = 106 UMS (although that can't change)

55/80 on the exam = 162 UMS

I'm one mark off an A*, as an extra mark on the exam would take me to 272 UMS. Is it worth getting the exam paper remarked? What experiences have people had doing something similar?

I'm feeling it's worth the risk. I appreciate it could end up going down, but hopefully not by enough to drop to a B in the worst case scenario.

Any advice/sharing of similar experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    May as well go for it in my opinion. As you say it might go up, but it's quite unlikely to go down. English is quite subjective, so while there have been some changes to the system meaning that marks will only increase if the person marking was clearly being unreasonable/making a mistake, you never know. Fingers crossed it comes back as an A* for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    May as well go for it in my opinion. As you say it might go up, but it's quite unlikely to go down. English is quite subjective, so while there have been some changes to the system meaning that marks will only increase if the person marking was clearly being unreasonable/making a mistake, you never know. Fingers crossed it comes back as an A* for you
    What changes have there been to the system?

Would someone just look over it again and give their mark or do they know the original mark when they remark the paper and see if they agree?

I am hoping that within Q 5&6 there is a chance of an extra mark, because of creative writing marking being subjective as you said, even if it was just for the SPAG.

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spidersmudge)

Would someone just look over it again and give their mark or do they know the original mark when they remark the paper and see if they agree?

I am hoping that within Q 5&6 there is a chance of an extra mark, because of creative writing marking being subjective as you said, even if it was just for the SPAG.

Thanks for the advice
    I know for a fact, that a completely different person remark's it for you, so it decreases the chances of the same mark.

Also, I think they do other checks on it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Spidersmudge)
    You can read about it here

I'm not sure about that actually, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OtakuFreak)
    I know for a fact, that a completely different person remark's it for you, so it decreases the chances of the same mark.

Also, I think they do other checks on it.
    Like if it has been added up correctly I'm guessing? It would be interesting to know if they know what mark you previously got, like if the paper is annotated and they know exactly the awarded mark. I feel like if it was me remarking the exam papers I would be looking for every little chance to find marks. I had a friend go up by 12 marks last year. It's quite scary that a paper can be marked that wide of the mark!

What is annoying me is I feel like for our early coursework pieces the teacher marked a few marks lower to leave herself somewhere to go, and even though I got full marks in the last two, the first two mean I was one mark short of what I needed. The frustration is large when you drop 3-4 marks on a coursework piece, yet the teacher is completely unable to give any reason why that was the case :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    You can read about it here

I'm not sure about that actually, sorry.
    Thanks for the link, even if it does have me wondering if I'll just end up with the same mark... I'll still go for it I think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.