Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Not sure if you've heard of it: "PADI?", the open water one only lolz... I had the junior one but now I'm old enough.
    erm.. PADI is very much an international organisation.. n cool me too, im doing advanced soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bougeoursie_Roo)
    erm.. PADI is very much an international organisation.. n cool me too, im doing advanced soon
    how long have you been doing scuba diving? i gave it a shot once on holiday, but that dam tank thing on my back weighed a tonne!

(Original post by neha p)
    but that dam tank thing on my back weighed a tonne!
    When you go underwater it becomes weightless. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    how long have you been doing scuba diving? i gave it a shot once on holiday, but that dam tank thing on my back weighed a tonne!
    i qualified for padi openwater 2 years ago really, havnt reli dived since cus i havnt reli found anyone to do it with i was 14 when i did it, but the tanks lose that weight when ur underwater..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    When you go underwater it becomes weightless. :confused:
    but i didnt go underwater! they put the thing on my back and i said a big 'no' forgetting how incredibly heavy things are in water. i decided to do the easy type of scuba diving...actually i think its called snorkling

ReputationRep:
    but i didnt go underwater! they put the thing on my back and i said a big 'no' forgetting how incredibly heavy things are in water. i decided to do the easy type of scuba diving...actually i think its called snorkling
    hehe try it again, a diving centre will offer like a taster thing, plus ur bcd wud mean u wudnt sink..

ReputationRep:
    hehe try it again, a diving centre will offer like a taster thing, plus ur bcd wud mean u wudnt sink..
    SINK?? there's a chance i will SINK? is someone pulling my leg here?

ReputationRep:
    erm.. u have to sink a bit.. in a controlled fashion

ReputationRep:
    If you went diving with just the tank, then you would only get to see the ocean floor. You wear the BCD to control your boyancy by filling it up with just enought air so that you neither float up nor sink.

ReputationRep:
    i qualified for padi openwater 2 years ago really, havnt reli dived since cus i havnt reli found anyone to do it with i was 14 when i did it, but the tanks lose that weight when ur underwater..
    Hehe I have the qualification, but didn't even know it was that well known! I thought it was only used for this part of the world. Hmmm.. what does it stand for anyway? When I was younger I couldn't go without my parents (who are both certified) but I think they changed it when I became either 14/16... not sure.

Bali was beautiful though!! Have you been there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesF)
    If you went diving with just the tank, then you would only get to see the ocean floor. You wear the BCD to control your boyancy by filling it up with just enought air so that you neither float up nor sink.
    ohhh right...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Hehe I have the qualification, but didn't even know it was that well known! I thought it was only used for this part of the world. Hmmm.. what does it stand for anyway? When I was younger I couldn't go without my parents (who are both certified) but I think they changed it when I became either 14/16... not sure.

Bali was beautiful though!! Have you been there?
    Professional Association of Diving Instructors i *think*. sadly i only dived in england, .

ReputationRep:
    Professional Association of Diving Instructors i *think*. sadly i only dived in england, .
    Must have been cold...I havent dived in england, but i expect the visibility is really terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Must have been cold...I havent dived in england, but i expect the visibility is really terrible.
    omg are you a pro or something james? how come you know so much about this?

ReputationRep:
    nah, in summer i wud go in a semidry, n iv never used a drysuit.. or dived in winter but visibility isnt as bad as one wud think..

ReputationRep:
    how old are you now?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, unfortunately not. I learned when i was 14 or 15 on holiday, with my dad, we both got the PADI openwater diver qualification. That was amazing, we saw some absolutely enourmous stingrays and an octopus which was hiding in a cave, and also a shipwreck.
    We went diving last year in Florida which was pretty cool aswell, there were loads of lobsters which ppl where catching there.
    Hopefully we can get some dives in this year too.

If you get the chance to try again, then do, you wont sink to the bottom and the tank is only heavy out of the water
    ok, thanks i will! it doesnt sound have as nightmarish now that i have been told about it!

ReputationRep:
    Im 17 now.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.