The Student Room Group

University choices too risky?

Hi everyone,
I'm applying for university in a month or so to hopefully go and study computer science at university. The university choices that I'm looking at all have quite high grade requirements, and although I'm confident of exceeding those requirements next summer, I don't know how likely I am to get offers (and of course it doesn't matter how good my grades are if I get no offers! xD ).

So I'm looking to apply for MEng 4 year courses, but most come with dual offer of MEng and BSc so I'll list both requirements.

Oxford: MCompSci: A*AA, BSc: A*AA
Warwick: MEng: A*AA, BSc: AAA
Manchester: MEng: A*AA, BSc: AAA
Durham: MEng: A*AA, BSc: AAA
York: MEng: AAA, BSc: AAB

As for my background I'm taking A Levels in maths, further maths, further maths (additional), physics, computer science and Spanish and I am hoping to get about 4 A* and 2 A next summer, and got an average of 95% UMS in my AS levels.

From the advice I'm seeing online I'm feeling that I should change my application to apply for some universities which are less competitive, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure if anyone on here would be able to give some insight into how likely I am to get offers from the universities I listed.

Thank you.
Tell us your GCSEs.
Reply 2
Can you apply for the MEng once you're on the Bsc? It would make sense to, for example, apply for the Bsc for two of them- just so that you have the range of grades, just in case.
That being said, your academics sound pretty secure. Why so many subjects!?
Reply 3
Original post by wightsnowolf
Hi everyone,
I'm applying for university in a month or so to hopefully go and study computer science at university. The university choices that I'm looking at all have quite high grade requirements, and although I'm confident of exceeding those requirements next summer, I don't know how likely I am to get offers (and of course it doesn't matter how good my grades are if I get no offers! xD ).

So I'm looking to apply for MEng 4 year courses, but most come with dual offer of MEng and BSc so I'll list both requirements.

Oxford: MCompSci: A*AA, BSc: A*AA
Warwick: MEng: A*AA, BSc: AAA
Manchester: MEng: A*AA, BSc: AAA
Durham: MEng: A*AA, BSc: AAA
York: MEng: AAA, BSc: AAB

As for my background I'm taking A Levels in maths, further maths, further maths (additional), physics, computer science and Spanish and I am hoping to get about 4 A* and 2 A next summer, and got an average of 95% UMS in my AS levels.

From the advice I'm seeing online I'm feeling that I should change my application to apply for some universities which are less competitive, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure if anyone on here would be able to give some insight into how likely I am to get offers from the universities I listed.

Thank you.

Seems fine, I applied to very similar (oxbridge,imperial,UCL,birmingham,bath) choices and had slightly worse grades than you (92%) and got all 5 offers. You should be fine, just keep studying hard.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Tell us your GCSEs.

A* with distinction, 7 A*, 4Bs

Original post by Ezme39
Can you apply for the MEng once you're on the Bsc? It would make sense to, for example, apply for the Bsc for two of them- just so that you have the range of grades, just in case.
That being said, your academics sound pretty secure. Why so many subjects!?

All of them give dual offers though, so when a university gives you an offer if you miss the MEng offer they will accept you onto the BSc with the lower grades :smile:And I just really like the subjects haha! xD
Reply 5
You'll get offers easily, it's not hard to get the offers, it's hard to meet them. (apart from oxford). I got AAAA at AS averaging about the same as you and got offers from imperial, warwick, birmingham, bristol. so similar unis.
Original post by Rabadon
You'll get offers easily, it's not hard to get the offers, it's hard to meet them. (apart from oxford). I got AAAA at AS averaging about the same as you and got offers from imperial, warwick, birmingham, bristol. so similar unis.

Okay, thank you for reassuring me a little. I feel as though I know so little about the application process for universities even though I have to do it myself right now haha xDI'm confident of meeting the offers that I receive, I just wasn't sure how likely I was to get the offers.Thank you for your help everyone! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending