Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Long story short, I finished my A-Levels last year, receiving A*AAA (Chem, Bio, Maths, History resp.) - also have 10A* and 1A at GCSE. I always wanted to do Medicine but I received an offer, as well as full financial aid, to go to a great ivy league college in the states (not for medicine - you can't do it at undergrad). I took a year out (wasn't ready) and didn't do much other than a little travelling and working in the city for money. I've now come to campus here and, unfortunately, I am miserable and want to return home, which I can't do until later (mid-september) the year due to immigration issues.

Going by the fact that I haven't done any academic work in over a year and can't remember anything about the BMAT/UKCAT, do I even stand a chance if I apply through UCAS now?

Should I stick it out for a whole year then come back with more scientific knowledge instead of leaving immediately? I'm 20 now and don't want to wait any longer if I'm going to do it.

Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need any proper scientific knowledge whatsoever for the UKCAT. You have the right grades, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

The only thing I'd say is that you can only have been in the US for a short time - are you sure you're actually wanting to leave, as opposed to just feeling a bit homesick/nervous about starting a new chapter? I think you'd have a competitive application if you did decide to go for Medicine in the UK this year, but if I were you I'd want to be really sure that leaving my current degree was a good idea before I went down that route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    You don't need any proper scientific knowledge whatsoever for the UKCAT. You have the right grades, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

The only thing I'd say is that you can only have been in the US for a short time - are you sure you're actually wanting to leave, as opposed to just feeling a bit homesick/nervous about starting a new chapter? I think you'd have a competitive application if you did decide to go for Medicine in the UK this year, but if I were you I'd want to be really sure that leaving my current degree was a good idea before I went down that route.
    Yeah but I've just got this feeling I won't settle in. I also feel like a failure because of not sticking it out for longer than a few days. I also can't leave it long enough or else I'll be too late to register for UKCAT/BMT/the UCAS app

ReputationRep:
    You've been there a few days. I've been to university in America. It really does feel odd. Everything is different.*

The thing is, you've given yourself a reason to come back and that's why you're not going to settle. I've done that too, when I lived and worked in Slovakia for a bit. If you've given yourself a reason, you'll never settle.

So either recognise that and come home or put the reason aside and get your head down and start working. There's no right answer. To do the latter, you just need to recognise that you've not made a mistake; you've just given yourself an out. You will get used to it and get some fantastic experiences under your belt and get a competitive application for medicine together in future. **

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt_01)
    Hi guys!

Long story short, I finished my A-Levels last year, receiving A*AAA (Chem, Bio, Maths, History resp.) - also have 10A* and 1A at GCSE. I always wanted to do Medicine but I received an offer, as well as full financial aid, to go to a great ivy league college in the states (not for medicine - you can't do it at undergrad). I took a year out (wasn't ready) and didn't do much other than a little travelling and working in the city for money. I've now come to campus here and, unfortunately, I am miserable and want to return home, which I can't do until later (mid-september) the year due to immigration issues.

Going by the fact that I haven't done any academic work in over a year and can't remember anything about the BMAT/UKCAT, do I even stand a chance if I apply through UCAS now?

Should I stick it out for a whole year then come back with more scientific knowledge instead of leaving immediately? I'm 20 now and don't want to wait any longer if I'm going to do it.

Youre a smart dude. If u come back any, no reason u wont do well in ukcat. Just make sure to get at least 1 day of WE in caring environment, and a long term voluntary work (6months+) and youll be good. Apply to right places. If ur a levels in not chem and bio, apply to foundation year ones like Manchester and Sheffield. Youll be OK. No need to stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I've just got this feeling I won't settle in. I also feel like a failure because of not sticking it out for longer than a few days. I also can't leave it long enough or else I'll be too late to register for UKCAT/BMT/the UCAS app
    Well, that's probably a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it?

You may have to register for UCAS/UKCAT etc soonish, but is there a reason you can't register and then stick at your current course in the meantime until you need to e.g. sit one of the admissions tests for Medicine? That way if, in a few weeks, you start to feel like you're settling in after all, then you've not thrown anything away.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Why did you go to us? Did you apply to med schools in uk?
    Whar uni are you at in us?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Why did you go to us? Did you apply to med schools in uk?
    Whar uni are you at in us?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.