Oxbridge folks ...what a levels did you take?

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to oxford if possibly and am worrying that my a level choices are too varied to allow to successfully apply for certain courses. People who have got into oxbridge, please state what uni you go to, what you study and the a levels you took. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squigysqump)
    I really want to go to oxford if possibly and am worrying that my a level choices are too varied to allow to successfully apply for certain courses. People who have got into oxbridge, please state what uni you go to, what you study and the a levels you took. Thanks!
    It depends on the course. What are you thinking of doing? It won't help you at all to know what A-levels I did if you aren't going to do Math at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    You would do a lot better in a more relevant section of TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    You would do a lot better in a more relevant section of TSR.
    which section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagafacea1)
    It depends on the course. What are you thinking of doing? It won't help you at all to know what A-levels I did if you aren't going to do Math at Cambridge.
    I was thinking of doing biochemistry. I'm taking chemistry maths english lit and spanish and am wondering if only doing 1 science and maths would drag me down as they are the minimum course requirements

ReputationRep:
    This won't help you much.

You need to specify your intended course, and simply check the entry requirements for that course. If you meet the requirements then you have a good chance.

Fundamentally you need to pick A-levels that a) meet the requirements and b) you enjoy and are likely to do well in.

I was thinking of doing biochemistry. I'm taking chemistry maths english lit and spanish and am wondering if only doing 1 science and maths would drag me down as they are the minimum course requirements
    It won't drag you down as much as picking a science you don't enjoy and may do badly in.

Although I would have thought Biology would be an obvious 3rd A-level...? I presume you don't think you will do so well in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just check the websites, they literally tell you everything you need to know. search up oxford courses, click on the one you want and click on entry requirements. if you keep up this level of laziness, forget about oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Biology would have been very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Just check the websites, they literally tell you everything you need to know. search up oxford courses, click on the one you want and click on entry requirements. if you keep up this level of laziness, forget about oxford.
    if you had read my posts in this thread you would have realised I have already checked the course requirements and am just wondering if having certain extra subjects would do me good! Who's the lazy one now?

ReputationRep:
    if you had read my posts in this thread you would have realised I have already checked the course requirements and am just wondering if having certain extra subjects would do me good! Who's the lazy one now?
    You said successfully apply. Say you do Economics, you look at the Oxford course requirements and see they want A* in Maths, you pick that. The other 2 should be obvious, don't do anything ending in Studies and pick the ones you think you'll do best in that don't allow a retard to get an A. If you can't use basic logic or spend 2 mins of your time finding basic and readily available information, maybe set your sites on Greenwich University, I heard they have their own bus. How exciting!

ReputationRep:
    You said successfully apply. Say you do Economics, you look at the Oxford course requirements and see they want A* in Maths, you pick that. The other 2 should be obvious, don't do anything ending in Studies and pick the ones you think you'll do best in that don't allow a retard to get an A. If you can't use basic logic or spend 2 mins of your time finding basic and readily available information, maybe set your sites on Greenwich University, I heard they have their own bus. How exciting!
    are the other 2 p.e and Spanish?? Seems obvious to me

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the lack of biology will harm your application somewhat, and potentially make your first term a bit trickier. However, it's not going to be the deciding factor. If your existing and predicted grades are good enough for you to be invited for interview, that's what's going to really count.

ReputationRep:
    Doing law at Cambridge from October and I did Maths, Physics, Geography, History and EPQ (though not sure that last one counted really). Depends on the subject, but for something like law I guess those subjects demonstrated both logical thinking and the ability to write arguments.

For biochem your application wouldn't be as strong as someone with the same grades but Biology I think (even the lack of further maths may well undermine your application relative to other ones).

I'd advise contacting admission tutors and checking the Cambridge/Oxford website. It's the most reliable source of info out there about the matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomeoSantos)
    are the other 2 p.e and Spanish?? Seems obvious to me
    Considering i said something that a retard couldn't get an A in. Think logically, would oxford want you to do a academic degree? Yes. So you would be looking at something that doesn't involve you prancing around all day in shorts, or reciting Mozart for a play. The fact you didn't bother to look into this is astounding, it should be the first thing you do when thinking of applying to any good uni. Academic subjects involve History, not P.E. Look up uni blacklist subjects, or what subjects to avoid, it really is a click away. As i say, enjoy Greenwich...

ReputationRep:
    Considering i said something that a retard couldn't get an A in. Think logically, would oxford want you to do a academic degree? Yes. So you would be looking at something that doesn't involve you prancing around all day in shorts, or reciting Mozart for a play. The fact you didn't bother to look into this is astounding, it should be the first thing you do when thinking of applying to any good uni. Academic subjects involve History, not P.E. Look up uni blacklist subjects, or what subjects to avoid, it really is a click away. As i say, enjoy Greenwich...
    LOOOOL i was joking about P.E bro. Also I wasn't the one asking the question which is why I didn't do the research..you must have misread the names

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.