Do you need 4 A2s for Oxbridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Whats the opinion of this years oxbridge entrants on the chances of getting a place with 3 v. 4 A2s? Is it better to carry on with all four subjects, or do three, and have time to doss? I know they base the offer on three, but do they look at you more favourably if youre doing four?
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Whats the opinion of this years oxbridge entrants on the chances of getting a place with 3 v. 4 A2s? Is it better to carry on with all four subjects, or do three, and have time to doss? I know they base the offer on three, but do they look at you more favourably if youre doing four?
I suppose 4 A2's is always better than 3. If you get 2 candidates who are alike in every way for example except one did 4 a levels and one did 3, surely the 4 aleveler would be considered as better. My school very strongly recommends it.

What I want to know is if someone with AABB at AS still has a chance with oxbridge!

And yyyaaaaayyy i'm an overlady! (aww overlord) *celebrates*
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
What I want to know is if someone with AABB at AS still has a chance with oxbridge!
probably- in the oxford prospectus for psychology (that's what i was looking at) it says that they wouldn't interview anyone predicted less than AAB- so you should be in with a chance. if youn resit any modules you have to decline them so you won't need to declare them on your oxbridge form so you should be ok.

good luck!
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
probably- in the oxford prospectus for psychology (that's what i was looking at) it says that they wouldn't interview anyone predicted less than AAB- so you should be in with a chance. if youn resit any modules you have to decline them so you won't need to declare them on your oxbridge form so you should be ok.

good luck!
Hmmm ok thanks! I'm applying to cam. I got nearly 100% on the subject I want to do. Plus I'm resitting some modules. Fingers crossed!
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Erm, not sure -but I suppose it relates to the different A Levels taken in relation to the course the student wants to study at degree level...?

My brother just finished his first year at Oxford...he had an AAA offer- although he was doing 4 A Levels (they obviously didn't mind what he got for further maths (?))...
So even if you do all four they might still just ask for AAA (I don't really know how the system works)...if you want to drop a subject then it might be worthwhile, although perhaps not for extra 'time to doss' as you put it but you might have more time to focus on the remaining subjects- thus increasing your chances of doing well in them, making it more likely to get the grades needed to get in!

Hmmm...not sure how much sense I made...anyway- good luck if your thinking of applying

Egan
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)
Erm, not sure -but I suppose it relates to the different A Levels taken in relation to the course the student wants to study at degree level...?

My brother just finished his first year at Oxford...he had an AAA offer- although he was doing 4 A Levels (they obviously didn't mind what he got for further maths (?))...
So even if you do all four they might still just ask for AAA (I don't really know how the system works)...if you want to drop a subject then it might be worthwhile, although perhaps not for extra 'time to doss' as you put it but you might have more time to focus on the remaining subjects- thus increasing your chances of doing well in them, making it more likely to get the grades needed to get in!

Hmmm...not sure how much sense I made...anyway- good luck if your thinking of applying

Egan
Yes I think it would take off a bit of the pressure if you did 4. Because then you can afford to drop a grade in one subject by accident.
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im gonna apply to cam and im doin 3. cant be bothered to do 4, not that its hard but im too lazy. i think cos everyone has 3,4,5,6 As the interview and internal exams are the deciding factor so read up outside of school and make sure your sharp for the interview.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yes I think it would take off a bit of the pressure if you did 4. Because then you can afford to drop a grade in one subject by accident.
Thats a good point. In fact if they offer AAA and you end upwith AAB they probably wont take you, but maybe theyd look at AABB a tad more favourably.
Pencil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wonder if they'd accept me with BCDE - two of them VCEs.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I suppose 4 A2's is always better than 3. If you get 2 candidates who are alike in every way for example except one did 4 a levels and one did 3, surely the 4 aleveler would be considered as better. My school very strongly recommends it.

And yyyaaaaayyy i'm an overlady! (aww overlord) *celebrates*
Well I got AAB and got into Cambridge so I don't think your chances are immediately better with more A' levels. There was an article in the Times on Friday that said 4,000 candidates with at least AAA were turned down from Cambridge last year. One of the admissions tutors was quoted saying that they would rather pupils stuck to fewer A'levels and used their free time to gain experiences beyond A' level.

Adsur and Phil, what subjects would you like to read?
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
After speaking to admissions officers at Cambridge, I was informed that:

You need a minimum of 21 units (ie 4 @ AS and 3 @ A2).

Cambridge will NOT usually ask for more than this as they know it's not possible for some students, such as those from FE colleges compared with those form Independent and Public schools, to achieve more than this.

The interview is the deciding factor as far as they're concerned. They'll sometimes offer a place to an AAB candidate over an AAA candidate based on a good performance at interview.

Other factors such as the applicants background will be taken into consideration to ensure a fair and just application. It's all part of their Access Scheme for students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Hope this helps!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE=Surfing Hamster]
The interview is the deciding factor as far as they're concerned. They'll sometimes offer a place to an AAB candidate over an AAA candidate based on a good performance at interview.

Well said! I want to dispel the myth popular in this forum that 4/5 As at A' level is the Oxbridge be all and end all. Why not read beyond A'level in relevant subjects instead of spreading yourself thinly over many A' levels? Quality over Quantity...
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE=Unregistered]
(Original post by Surfing Hamster)

Well said! I want to dispel the myth popular in this forum that 4/5 As at A' level is the Oxbridge be all and end all. Why not read beyond A'level in relevant subjects instead of spreading yourself thinly over many A' levels? Quality over Quantity...
Couldn't have said it better .
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I got AAB and got into Cambridge so I don't think your chances are immediately better with more A' levels. There was an article in the Times on Friday that said 4,000 candidates with at least AAA were turned down from Cambridge last year. One of the admissions tutors was quoted saying that they would rather pupils stuck to fewer A'levels and used their free time to gain experiences beyond A' level.

Adsur and Phil, what subjects would you like to read?
Philosophy So I don't think it'd be THAT competitive. I know my philosophy is good enough for there - just don't know about my A levels. That's very encouraging if its the interview that's important - I'm quite confident I'd do well!
Falguni
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
One of the Cambridge admissions tutors was quoted in the sunday telegraph today saying that they would rather pupils stuck to fewer A'levels and used their free time to read around their subjects - depth as opposed to breadth
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Phil, what subjects would you like to read?
im looking to read maths. im not sure if im good enough tho. done nearer maths so far and that was fine although i screwed up P1 and S1 the 2 easiest units and i lost 29 marks out of 600. Done abunch of P5 and M4 seems fine. I guess STEP and interview are the important things cos most maths people who apply find Alevels easy
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
im looking to read maths. im not sure if im good enough tho. done nearer maths so far and that was fine although i screwed up P1 and S1 the 2 easiest units and i lost 29 marks out of 600. Done abunch of P5 and M4 seems fine. I guess STEP and interview are the important things cos most maths people who apply find Alevels easy
You sound pretty good already, I don't have much experiance apart from A-level maths and AS further maths but everyone in my school found P5 difficult.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Falguni)
One of the Cambridge admissions tutors was quoted in the sunday telegraph today saying that they would rather pupils stuck to fewer A'levels and used their free time to read around their subjects - depth as opposed to breadth
But what do they mean by "fewer"? Perhaps four A2s is fewer in their world where some geeks have five, six, seven A2s!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
But what do they mean by "fewer"? Perhaps four A2s is fewer in their world where some geeks have five, six, seven A2s!
Don't forget that many applicants (like me) only had the opportunity to do 3 A' levels as schools can't accommodate students taking any more than that. The Cambridge admin tutor in the Times said that 3 good A' levels and a wealth of further reading and experience was preferable to spending time doing more A2s.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Philosophy So I don't think it'd be THAT competitive. I know my philosophy is good enough for there - just don't know about my A levels. That's very encouraging if its the interview that's important - I'm quite confident I'd do well!
Excellent - you should know that the ability to handle complex concepts with ease and think way beyond A' level is most important in philosophy. Therefore if you can show this at interview, how many A2s you have will be a minor issue.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%