Do you need 4 A2s for Oxbridge? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Cambridge give offers on the basis of the numbers of subjects you are taking. Getting a B at AS means it's less likely that you will get an AS at A2 (you will probably have worked that out), but not impossible (remember, A2 is considerably more challenging - not just in content, but also exam style). However, the university will only have the opportunity to look at the grades you actually got for AS. I got almost 100% in A2 maths, chemistry and biology (slight boast)

What are you doing atm and what makes you want to try philosophy? Good luck whatever you decide to do, though!

Ben
Lucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I got almost 100% in A2 maths, chemistry and biology (slight boast)
*green with envy* I love Chemistry so much, it was a bit disappointing that I scraped an A for it and yet my highest mark was for the subject I hated the most (and the most irrelevant to my course)!

Adhsur, I'm not sure you know but you'll have to state all your module marks to your college when you apply to Cambridge - it's a new rule starting this year.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what makes you want to try philosophy? Good luck whatever you decide to do, though!

Ben
Well, I've pretty much read all the major books and love the subject to bits! It teaches you not WHAT to think but HOW to think...and anyway, as Robert Nozick once said..."an unexamined life is not worth living" Blahdeblah I could go on forever.

As for writing down module marks - I suppose that would be in my favour!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I had to do that last year!!! You can't get out of stating AS grades, can you? They are quite important on the UCAS form.

Ben
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Go for it, then! You sound pretty enthusiastic, anyway - and if they love you at interview, anything's possible (er....well - not anything, exactly)

Ben
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)

Adhsur, I'm not sure you know but you'll have to state all your module marks to your college when you apply to Cambridge - it's a new rule starting this year.
Do you know if that also applies to oxford?

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)

Phil
Will it make a big difference even if you do have to tell them?

Ben
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Im looking to apply to do maths at cambridge. The thing is, ive taken my first A-level in maths (P1, P2, P3, S1, M1, M2) and I did quite badly in P1 and S1 (for someone looking to do maths at cam), getting 87 and 86 respectively. I did fine on the others getting all 100s apart from 98 on P3. Is it worth resitting P1 and S1 and making sure I get 95-100, or will the fact that I did got good marks on the others make up for the lowish marks?
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)

Phil
What did you get for AS phil?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I had to do that last year!!! You can't get out of stating AS grades, can you? They are quite important on the UCAS form.

Ben
My school does not cash in majority of our AS grades (they only cash in the subjects they do not teach at A2 e.g. critical thinking, philosophy etc.) so we do not declare our grades on our UCAS forms. However they may refer to specific module marks in our reference if they are good (they simply do not say anything if a pupil has done badly). They may also say "Miss X has achieved the equivalent of 4 A's. However universities can see past this and will know that if the school says nothing about AS grades, the student has performed badly.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
What did you get for AS phil?
I got 4A and an E, with the A for Economics, Business, Maths, and Frencg, and the E for General. I was so surprised, as though I had done loads worse on Business and economics.

Phil
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)

Phil
As far as I know, no (yay!) but certain colleges already have a system of asking for the module marks anyway.

It'sPhil... wont Cambridge already have your original module marks before you retake anyway? Are you saying you might want to tell Cambridge you plan to resit P1 and S1?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
Im looking to apply to do maths at cambridge. The thing is, ive taken my first A-level in maths (P1, P2, P3, S1, M1, M2) and I did quite badly in P1 and S1 (for someone looking to do maths at cam), getting 87 and 86 respectively. I did fine on the others getting all 100s apart from 98 on P3. Is it worth resitting P1 and S1 and making sure I get 95-100, or will the fact that I did got good marks on the others make up for the lowish marks?
I don't know. It's deceptive - you might have performed equally well on all of them (except P2, when 100 meant 100% this year) but got marked up higher in P3 than in P1 because P3 was a little more obscure this time round and P1 was, apparently, piss-easy (but they might not be aware of the scaling, etc.). I don't really know if it's worth it, a good P3 may make up for a worse P1 - but maths at Cambridge; WOW?!? Do you know what you're letting yourself in for???? The STEP papers are the important ones, though!!!
Good-flipping-luck!!!!

Ben
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
As far as I know, no (yay!) but certain colleges already have a system of asking for the module marks anyway.
Thank God for that.

Phil
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
It'sPhil... wont Cambridge already have your original module marks before you retake anyway? Are you saying you might want to tell Cambridge you plan to resit P1 and S1?
I think it depends on when they send whatever letter it is asking for specific modular marks. There is an exam opportunity for maths in November so I could sit then, and if they ask for modular marks after that give them whatever i got. Other than that, do you think thoser marks will disadvantage me, cos i imagine most applicants have close to 100 in every module
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think it depends on when they send whatever letter it is asking for specific modular marks. There is an exam opportunity for maths in November so I could sit then, and if they ask for modular marks after that give them whatever i got. Other than that, do you think thoser marks will disadvantage me, cos i imagine most applicants have close to 100 in every module
Since you nailed the other far harder modules, I reckon you should be okay, and could always say in the interview it was due to nerves.

Phil
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm really not sure... maybe you should find out when they will expect you to hand your marks in and if by then you'll have gotten the marks back from resits already. Also if you do decide to resit Cambridge often like to hear your reasons for doing so.
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by PHIL)
Since you nailed the other far harder modules, I reckon you should be okay, and could always say in the interview it was due to nerves.

Phil
nah it was due to me doing it in half an hour then going to sleep for the rest of the exam zzz.....zzz
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
nah it was due to me doing it in half an hour then going to sleep for the rest of the exam zzz.....zzz
I was half asleep when doing my P1 aswell (and I think that's why I scored better in P2). I think it was because they made us do P2 just before and I was all revved up and then I just fizzled out.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I did that in P1 also, but really wish I hadn't now. still 89 isn't too bad. Did you also do Edexcel?

Phil
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads