Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by It'sPhil...)
    I think it depends on when they send whatever letter it is asking for specific modular marks. There is an exam opportunity for maths in November so I could sit then, and if they ask for modular marks after that give them whatever i got. Other than that, do you think thoser marks will disadvantage me, cos i imagine most applicants have close to 100 in every module
    I can't pretend to know, but I imagine SOME students will be extremely gifted and have 100 in every module. There must also be a fair number of students who are like yourself, too. The form might have a space for you to indicate whether you plan to resit a module (mine did) - but I don't know what their attitude is regarding resists - they may prefer you to stick with your original marks. You'll have to tell them by October, anyway - and there aren't any more exam opportunities before that!

ReputationRep:
    It'sPhil, how did you do in your other subjects? If you scored highly in all of your subjects taken then I guess it wouldn't matter as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Right let me get this straight. If I do 4 A2's I'll get AAAA offer and if i do three i'd get AAA offer? That makes no sense! I've signed up to do all four because i'm pretty confident I can turn my AABB into AAAA. Plus with a AAA offer I thought it'd be easier to get AAA if i had the possibility of dropping a grade in a subject...ie a disastor exam wouldn't spoil my chances completely, whereas if i did three it would because everything would count.
    I recall putting the question of grades to an admissions tutor at Cambridge at an open day. Basically, if you choose to take on an extra A'level they will either stick none the less to a 3 grade offer or test you further (and you open yourself up to this by taking more) and give you a 4 grade offer. Obviously taking 4 might make sense in the case of maths and the 4th being further maths, but otherwise, why spread yourself thinly when you could devote the time to developing further your knowledge and experience of your chosen degree?

This is what the admissions tutors are saying loudly and clearly - you've all read the papers! Copious amounts of perfect grades are now not so unusual have less impact - you need an edge that grades alone won't give you.

I don't think you can cover yourself totally by taking a 4th to give yourself room to drop 1 grade and still get AAA - the uni will know that you did less well in one subject. They might also question your planning if you did not achieve 4 As at AS level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    It'sPhil, how did you do in your other subjects? If you scored highly in all of your subjects taken then I guess it wouldn't matter as much.
    didnt do great in fine art, sort of tailed off as the year went on, got 251/300 (Still an A). Did well in economics, got 300/300. So i guess im fine

Well done!
    Getting full marks is no mean feat!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    didnt do great in fine art, sort of tailed off as the year went on, got 251/300 (Still an A). Did well in economics, got 300/300. So i guess im fine
    I think that it is definitely good enough (especially with the 300/300 in your pocket). Plus they know that P2 is harder than P1 and they'll probably think of it as a one off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I think that it is definitely good enough (especially with the 300/300 in your pocket). Plus they know that P2 is harder than P1 and they'll probably think of it as a one off.
    yeah cheers, and thanks ben aswell How about you Lucy, you thinking of doing medical sciencs at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    yeah cheers, and thanks ben aswell How about you Lucy, you thinking of doing medical sciencs at Cambridge?
    I've decided to apply for medicine at Oxford, I've always been more Oxford inclined, I have no idea why. Plus about 10 other girls who want to study medicine are applying to Cambridge thus by the time I got round to choosing possible Cambridge colleges majority of them were already taken! What college do you plan to apply at?

(Original post by Lucy)
    I've decided to apply for medicine at Oxford, I've always been more Oxford inclined, I have no idea why. Plus about 10 other girls who want to study medicine are applying to Cambridge thus by the time I got round to choosing possible Cambridge colleges majority of them were already taken! What college do you plan to apply at?
    There was a girl in my year who did the same as you. She got rejected in the end, though - they asked her to plan some sort of medical experiment in preparation for her interview! Good luck with that!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    There was a girl in my year who did the same as you. She got rejected in the end, though - they asked her to plan some sort of medical experiment in preparation for her interview! Good luck with that!

Ben
    lol, luckily my hopes aren't raised as high as others as I know it's going to be practically impossible. I'm not looking forward at all to the admissions test or interviews but oh well, I'll cross those bridges when I come to them!

Apply yourself fully - they can't ask any more than that! If you really have a passion for medecine and the potential to fly high, they'll notice you - and that's worth more than 20 A* and 10 As (perhaps)

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the words of advice, I think I'll just keep on top of my work plus keep up with all the background reading as well as keeping on top of the news. It's going to be a busy year!

ReputationRep:
    i know someone who applied to cambridge with 4 subjects, dropped the 4th subject after he sent off the application form then in the interview he pretended he was still doing the subject. After h got his place, he phoned them up and said he was considering dropping the 4th subject and would they mind. They said no and by that method he got away with doing 3 subjects for the majority of year 13. clever guy!

(Original post by emom100)
    i know someone who applied to cambridge with 4 subjects, dropped the 4th subject after he sent off the application form then in the interview he pretended he was still doing the subject. After h got his place, he phoned them up and said he was considering dropping the 4th subject and would they mind. They said no and by that method he got away with doing 3 subjects for the majority of year 13. clever guy!
    That could've been very dangerous. If you drop a subject without seeking the approval of the Uni first, the offer may become invalid. That was very stupid, not very clever.

What was his offer and what was the subject?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I would say more lucky than clever... what if they had offered him a 4 grade offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    That could've been very dangerous. If you drop a subject without seeking the approval of the Uni first, the offer may become invalid. That was very stupid, not very clever.
    I agree that was been unwise and also it was unnecessary - whether he was taking 3 or 4 a' levels certainly wouldn't have been the deciding factor; many people only have the opportunity to study 3. He could have been given a 4 grade offer and been left well and truely up a certain creek.

ReputationRep:
    all the teachers told him he was taking a risk dropping the subject anyway but i think they would have gone nuts at him if they knew he told the uni he was still doing it. it was for law (aab)

ReputationRep:
    all the teachers told him he was taking a risk dropping the subject anyway but i think they would have gone nuts at him if they knew he told the uni he was still doing it. it was for law (aab)
    What college was it?

Phil

I found this post on the telegraph unofficial guides website. It rather seems to contradict the quality not quantity lobby!

Subject: Response to No. of A-levels Post
    About: Oxford University
    Submitted by: Oxford student
    Date: 26th Aug 2003

Hi,

It depends on which course you want to do.. some are more competitive than others. Basically you want to outshine your competitors, and a good way to do so is to do more A-levels.

At my college (in my year), I can't think of that many who only did three. Most people I know did 4 (at A2, excluding General studies).. quite a few did 5, some did 6, and one guy did 7.

I did six, and let's face it - A-levels aren't especially difficult these days... with something like 38% of all entries for subjects like maths getting A's.

So I advise doing four. Do more if you can.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.