Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are your views on them? Do you have a problem with it, are you pro it, or are you indifferent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudes do media)
    What are your views on them? Do you have a problem with it, are you pro it, or are you indifferent?
    Maybe this should be in the debate section. But live and let live is my motto. I feel sorry for people who feel they should be the opposite sex because of the trauma and discrimination they go through, and believe that they should be accepted.

If they want to have a sex change then fair enough and good on them.

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly bothered about it... It's the person as an individual, not the gender, that I base my opinion on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Not particularly bothered about it... It's the person as an individual, not the gender, that I base my opinion on.
    agreed, brilliantly put as well

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a friend whos brother changed gender. I think if any person is unhappy with the way they are and they want to change that then i don't see any problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    im not too bothered, to me its just like race
    as long as they dont hit on me or pull me into anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    agreed, brilliantly put as well
    Thankyou.
    I don't see how someone can judge a person by lumping them in with another group..

The worst is when people say how much they love all gay people. By generalising them, it's just as bad as hating all gay people. Grr. Judge on the individual, not the group. Silly people.

ReputationRep:
    i don't like the idea of it, but i don't have a problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    i don't like the idea of it, but i don't have a problem
    Why don't you like the idea of it? Some people have had to change gender for medical reasons. I'm not sure what the medical condition is caused but when the time decides that you're either a male or female, sometimes very rarely it remains undecided. A few sportspeople have become this, although I'm not sure if they changed by choice, medical reasons or both. I know there was a tennis player who changed gender. Was in the papers about this ability to qualify under either sex and some people are complaining about it.

ReputationRep:
    not too fussed about what they do its their body their choice wish they wouldn't have those ads in phonebox's though

ReputationRep:
    Suppose you're heterosexual and you fall in love with someone.

Then, once you get together, the person tells you he/she is a transsexual, which you did not know previously.

What do you do? Would you stay with the person? Would you have sex with him/her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    Suppose you're heterosexual and you fall in love with someone.

Then, once you get together, the person tells you he/she is a transsexual, which you did not know previously.

What do you do? Would you stay with the person? Would you have sex with him/her?
    I thought something like this would be mentioned sooner or later, question of who

Well what would you do?

The type of girls I'm interested in would make it a bit hard for a transsexual to be one of those girls I like due to physique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I thought something like this would be mentioned sooner or later, question of who

Well what would you do?

The type of girls I'm interested in would make it a bit hard for a transsexual to be one of those girls I like due to physique
    yeah but u never know - do you? and its not just men changing to women, what about vica versa. Although its not too common is it - or just that we dont hear about it? I mean when someone says transexuals, you assume that we're talking about men changing into women, or is this just a stereotypical view on behalf?

ReputationRep:
    Well said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    yeah but u never know - do you? and its not just men changing to women, what about vica versa. Although its not too common is it - or just that we dont hear about it? I mean when someone says transexuals, you assume that we're talking about men changing into women, or is this just a stereotypical view on behalf?
    I'm not too sure what the figures are but I have come across more men changing to women than vice versa. Of course you will never know it will happen to you but what are the odds? Surely there's more chance of you getting knocked over by a car at a nearby road when you are a pedestrian.

I have come across one person (on TV not real life - drama) where there is a homosexual couple who want a child of their own, so one of them decides to have his gender changed. But why the drastic measures? I do realise people will go to extraordinarily lenghts to have children of their own (buying over the net even) but if we allowed single sexed couples to be treated equally as female-male couples who adopt perhaps we won't have that many people changing their gender? I realise that sometimes an adopted child isn't the same as your very own.

ReputationRep:
    Its the norm to have a male-female parents, but now its accepted to have single parents, so same sexed couples may be accepted in the future.

Who saw that programme on channel 4, on people with genetic disorders ( i dont know if thats the right word), where people suffered with Klinfelters, Turner, or had both male and female genitalia?

That was a real eye-opener...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with it. I think that they should be able to be officially called the gender that they change too. I think sometimes people are the wronge gender because of mistakes at birth or for many other reasons and I don't see why they should be forced to live in a gender they don't feel that they belong to.

ReputationRep:

I can't imagine how hard it must be knowing that you don't fit in, and that you have to endure feeling unnatural..There must be people who feel they are the wrong sex but refuse to face it, living in denial. Like Hayley said, if i have a problem with people its the person or their actions that cause the problem not "what" they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think sometimes people are the wronge gender because of mistakes at birth
    I recall a case (but cant find a link at the moment) of someone who was born male, but a surgeon made a gruesome mistake when circumcising them. The parents were advised due to the damage done it may be easier to pump him full of hormones right from birth, and with a little more surgery turn him into a girl.

As soon as (s)he hit 19/20 the biological effects of the Y chromosome were kicking in and (s)he had a sex-change back to what he originally was, male.

I recall it made the news, as the child was legally female, as there is some provision for sex-changes for medical necessity, and wished to be legally male, as he would have been if the doctors had left him alone to start with.

I forget the outcome, but assuming its not just an urban legend what do you think? Should they legally be male or female now and, should they have been legally female at all?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.