Transexuals Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JnA)
Its the norm to have a male-female parents, but now its accepted to have single parents, so same sexed couples may be accepted in the future.

Who saw that programme on channel 4, on people with genetic disorders ( i dont know if thats the right word), where people suffered with Klinfelters, Turner, or had both male and female genitalia?

That was a real eye-opener...
Yes I saw a glimpse of it as I was at my nan's when I went to speak to my uncle, I esd passing through before arriving back home from college. I believe they mentioned a guy who had two fully functioning penises too? Anyone confirm that? I did have a simple explanation for that, but can't remember it right now.

It just goes to show how lucky the majority of us are that we don't suffer from such abnormalities. Has anyone seen the original film, The Elephant Man? I still remember seeing him 8+ years on in my mind from time to time.

I wonder if it will be repeated?
BloodyValentine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JnA)
Its the norm to have a male-female parents, but now its accepted to have single parents, so same sexed couples may be accepted in the future.

Who saw that programme on channel 4, on people with genetic disorders ( i dont know if thats the right word), where people suffered with Klinfelters, Turner, or had both male and female genitalia?

That was a real eye-opener...
oooh i saw that too the guy's (as he was at the time) parents had chosen to give him the female sex organs as he was born with both sexes and but at the age of 19 (ish not too sure the tv show was quite a while back) he chose he was more comfortable as a guy and now has 2 children. quite interesting really and maybe some people feel uncomfortable with the sex and hey its up to them if they want to change.
Incedentally what are everyone's opinions on whether sex changees should be made to pay for their operation or should it be on the nhs?
amphibian
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
it should be on the NHS.
all the evidence and experiences of transexuals suggests it is a genuine medical condition.
MC Hawking IV
Report 14 years ago
I don't go near 'chicks with dicks' or 'shemales' cos that's just damn freaky.
BloodyValentine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MC Hawking IV)
I don't go near 'chicks with dicks' or 'shemales' cos that's just damn freaky.
deep insight there man
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BloodyValentine)
oooh i saw that too the guy's (as he was at the time) parents had chosen to give him the female sex organs as he was born with both sexes and but at the age of 19 (ish not too sure the tv show was quite a while back) he chose he was more comfortable as a guy and now has 2 children. quite interesting really and maybe some people feel uncomfortable with the sex and hey its up to them if they want to change.
Incedentally what are everyone's opinions on whether sex changees should be made to pay for their operation or should it be on the nhs?
Given what is already available on the NHS, sex-changes should also be available. If a woman is unhappy with the size of her breasts (I mean she's in such a state that it's affecting her relationships and her state of mind), she can get a boob job on the NHS. So, if a man is clinically depressed because he feels that he was born female with the wrong body parts, why shouldn't he be allowed the same treatment?

By the way, male to female sex-changes are more common than female to male. This is partly a social thing - women are generally happier being women, as less is expected of them. It is also a physical thing - it's easier to dig a hole than make a pole, as my Gender in Society lecturer once said.
JnA
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BloodyValentine)
Yeah there was a person who had ambiguous genitalia, and superficially it seemed like a female at birth, however its karyotope revealed the baby was infact XY, however on the advice the parents were told to bring the child up as a female. However, later on she suffered quite a bit, cos she needed additional hormones to be 'female' which was sad, and had to have several operations to become one too...I believe people who are in this position is upto them however they want to be perceived, as male or female...or both.
Babygal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Why don't you like the idea of it? Some people have had to change gender for medical reasons. I'm not sure what the medical condition is caused but when the time decides that you're either a male or female, sometimes very rarely it remains undecided. A few sportspeople have become this, although I'm not sure if they changed by choice, medical reasons or both. I know there was a tennis player who changed gender. Was in the papers about this ability to qualify under either sex and some people are complaining about it.
Medical reasons i don't mind, but the idea of ppl changing their sex cos they feel that they want to be the opp, is not really my kind of thing, its a disgusting thought, and the turnout is horrifying
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Babygal)
Medical reasons i don't mind, but the idea of ppl changing their sex cos they feel that they want to be the opp, is not really my kind of thing, its a disgusting thought, and the turnout is horrifying
So you don't think that if people do feel that they are in the wrong gender they should be aloud to change? Even if this means that they are unhappy for the rest of their lives.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dudes do media)
What are your views on them? Do you have a problem with it, are you pro it, or are you indifferent?
My brother happens to be a transexual and I am fine with it and I find most people don't actually understand the transexuals themselves.
LaZyGaL
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by dave134)
I recall a case (but cant find a link at the moment) of someone who was born male, but a surgeon made a gruesome mistake when circumcising them. The parents were advised due to the damage done it may be easier to pump him full of hormones right from birth, and with a little more surgery turn him into a girl.

As soon as (s)he hit 19/20 the biological effects of the Y chromosome were kicking in and (s)he had a sex-change back to what he originally was, male.

I recall it made the news, as the child was legally female, as there is some provision for sex-changes for medical necessity, and wished to be legally male, as he would have been if the doctors had left him alone to start with.

I forget the outcome, but assuming its not just an urban legend what do you think?
its not an urban legend- just this year he killed himself because of depression - but he will live on in psychology lessons :rolleyes:
Babygal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
So you don't think that if people do feel that they are in the wrong gender they should be aloud to change? Even if this means that they are unhappy for the rest of their lives.
yes it is disgusting, god gave them life as either m/f they should stick to wat they are, i am entitled to my own opinion right?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes it is disgusting, god gave them life as either m/f they should stick to wat they are, i am entitled to my own opinion right?
But surely we can't change for medical reasons either, because God might have wanted someone to be transgendered. This is not my view.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes of course you are however it isn't alway as black and white as that. There is a medical condition which is seldom recognised in transexual people. According to my biology teacher as a male foetus is developing in the womb two rushes of hormones are needed. The first rush of hormones causes the developement of the male body, the second the development of the male brain. Now sometimes the second hormone rush doesn't happen and the brain stays female which in developement is the default. So in cases like this there liturally is a female brain in a male body. Even though the male body had nothing wronge with it. It is proven that up to 50% of male to female transexuals have this problem.
amphibian
Report 14 years ago
yes and I'm entitled to disagree. yay!
if god makes someone born with a genetic disability or disease, and a cure is invented, would you maintain the same argument?
Investmentboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Im a tri-sexual
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Investmentboy)
Im a tri-sexual
:confused: meaning?
zizero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, you're entitled to your opinion. But in a debating forum, we're entitled to question and discuss it.

Do you think sex-changes should be banned on the basis that you find it disgusting and that you think that there is a god who does not want it?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
:confused: meaning?
he'll try anything :rolleyes:
giordano
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Investmentboy)
Im a tri-sexual
I am quadri-sexual
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (653)
90.95%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (65)
9.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed