Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Missed your GCSE grades and worried about getting into uni? Ask us anything! watch

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    If you didn't get the grades you were looking for yesterday, don't panic. There are loads more opportunities for GCSE students these days. We thought some of you might find it helpful for us to offer our views as a university.

We will be able to give you pointers on future decisions you might not have thought about much yet, such as what A-levels lead to which degrees. Or whatever you’d like to talk about. Ask us anything!

ReputationRep:
    Can I still go into medicine without taking chemistry or only taking it at AS, because I got a D and a C, so my sixth-form won't let me take it. I'm so determined to go into medicine that if I have to I will pay to get a chemistry A-Level privately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShonaSmith)
    Can I still go into medicine without taking chemistry or only taking it at AS, because I got a D and a C, so my sixth-form won't let me take it. I'm so determined to go into medicine that if I have to I will pay to get a chemistry A-Level privately.
    I could not do chemistry because I didn't get a B in maths so I did consider to do chemistry as the exams can be taken privately however the only problem is that you need to do the practical and it is very rare centres let candidates do the practical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babznd)
    I could not do chemistry because I didn't get a B in maths so I did consider to do chemistry as the exams can be taken privately however the only problem is that you need to do the practical and it is very rare centres let candidates do the practical
    Yeah, I really dont have £150 for a week of tutoring. The only other way I can go into medicine is through 1 uni. I have no idea whether it would be a good idea to contact them and talk to the university about it.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ShonaSmith)
    Hi ShonaSmith, .

The best thing for you to do would be to research medical schools, and have a look at their subject requirements. However, Chemistry is usually a prerequisite, along with Biology.

At Bradford we offer a taster day called 'Making an Application to Medicine' as our Clinical Sciences programme offers a route to Leeds Medical School. New dates will be available soon - keep an eye on our taster day web pages. If you can't make it to us, have a look around to see if other universities offer something similar.

Best of Luck

SM & AM

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar predicament. I was working at an A* for year 10 and 11 for both Biology and Chemistry and somehow I came out with two B's. Imagine my confusion and annoyance as I have confidence in the knowledge I aquired throughout the two years and revised hard 😔 I am able to take Biology Chemistry, Maths and Psychology at the sixth form in my school although my head of year suggested I do 3 A-levels instead of 3 and an AS due to my overall grades and my maths teacher said it's not advisable to take Maths if I didn't achieve an A, but I am going to do it as an AS and continue with Bio, Chem and Psychology for A2. I wasn't able to go to my sixth form of choice (Brampton Manor Academy) as I didn't come out with the A's and A*'s I was predicted in these 3 subjects. Also my teachers adviced me in order to do medicine I would have to study Biochemistry at university and do a post graduate degree in medicine, which would take 7 years minimum instead of the 5 years a medical degree would take and I won't have a plethora of uni offers unless I get a remark in English to give me an A as I was 3 marks off. You can take Chemistry as an AS but you will have to get an A in it, and it would be likely you would have to do a foundation year as well as the 5 year course medicine at uni usually offers. I don't think most sixth forms will let you do Biology and Chemistry with your grades, but please continue searching and if not I would suggest tutoring and resit them next year, then possibly you would have to do an extra year at sixth form. I'm sorry to hear about this as I'm sure you worked hard as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I was interested in going into medicine and I was wondering if my results are good enough for most universities to study medicine because I am scared seeing as I have received a few B's.
    Anyways, here they are:

Maths: A*
    Chemistry: A*
    Biology: A*
    French: A*
    Physics: A
    Computing: A
    History: A
    English Language: B
    English Literature: B (I'm getting it remarked so hopefully should be an A)
    Religious Studies: B
    ICT Cambridge Nationals: Merit level 2
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi everyone

Once again the best thing to do before you finalise your A Level choices is to research for yourself. Medical Schools will have specific subject requirements at A Level but they will also look for non-academic things in your personal statement as well. Things like work experience or voluntary work (preferably medicine or healthcare related) your hobbies and much more. Don't just choose or drop a subject before you've got some solid answers. Ring the universities you are interested in, attend an open day or other visiting opportunity to gain an insight into their requirements.

It's also a good idea to have a back-up plan just in case things don't work out. For example would you consider graduate entry medicine by studying another subject first? Or would you consider another related subject like Pharmacy where you can still work in a clinical setting or Biomedical Science that will give you a good grounding in the basic sciences and the chance to apply for graduate entry medicine?

Lots to think about!

AM

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.