Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering taking IB instead of A-levels as the idea of doing many subjects really attracts me (I hated dropping subjects for GCSE, let alone dropping down to 4/3).

These are the subjects I think I would pick.
    A Levels :
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
    IB: HL Maths, HL Physics, HL Chemistry, SL English, SL History, SL French

This would basically be my dream programme, apart from English, which I hate with a passion, but I think I would be able to get over that as I really like the breath available with IB. As for myself, I am very academic and have been predicted/gaining top marks in all my exams, so I think I could do it. Would you recommend doing it, especially with these combinations of subjects? Or would it be too much?

As for what I want to do later on in life, I have no clue, but I assume it would be something maths related. Then again, it may not be.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If you'e happy with your subject choices then I don't see why not. Are your teachers and parents on board with this plan?

ReputationRep:
    My parents are very into it, and I feel like they would prefer me to do the IB. I haven't had a chance to speak to my teachers about it yet, so I don't know about them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I did the IB instead of A levels for similar reasons to you and I would really recommend it!

As long as you keep on top of everything it's definitely manageable. The only thing I would say is to check whether the courses you want to do at uni need you to have HL maths because it is extremely difficult - but if you want to do something maths related I imagine you'd be fine

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey i'm in exactly the same situation - obvs i can't give you a straight decision but you could consider:
    - where do you want to go in the future? abroad? uk?
    - could you study a language as an extra curricular while doing A Levels?
    - the previous pass rates of both schools?
    - do you need the extra knowledge gained in further maths A Level? (IB HL Maths = A Level Maths + AS Further Maths roughly)

for heads up, i'll be doing the same A Level choices as you but in IB: HL Maths, Physics, Chemistry/German, SL Chemistry/German, Geography, English

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.