Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have been working/contracted for just under a year (I work for the NHS) , and have just secured a place at university as I want to go back to study. It involves relocating 2 hours away from where I live now hence having to resign from my job. I have handed in my notice and the notice period is a month which I plan to work, however I'm currently on a Saturday rota and I have no time to sort my stuff out between finishing work and starting my course (literally have 24 hours). I have about 4 days of holiday left for this year - would it be unreasonable to ask to take this holiday during my second to last week to enable me to go up to the new place to sign the contract pay the deposit and move all my stuff into my new house?? The other problem is my manager is now on holiday until September 12th- is there anyone I could go to higher up to request this leave? It's all a bit of a mad rush and is stressing me out just wondering if anyone's ever been in a similar situation, thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonandstars)
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have been working/contracted for just under a year (I work for the NHS) , and have just secured a place at university as I want to go back to study. It involves relocating 2 hours away from where I live now hence having to resign from my job. I have handed in my notice and the notice period is a month which I plan to work, however I'm currently on a Saturday rota and I have no time to sort my stuff out between finishing work and starting my course (literally have 24 hours). I have about 4 days of holiday left for this year - would it be unreasonable to ask to take this holiday during my second to last week to enable me to go up to the new place to sign the contract pay the deposit and move all my stuff into my new house?? The other problem is my manager is now on holiday until September 12th- is there anyone I could go to higher up to request this leave? It's all a bit of a mad rush and is stressing me out just wondering if anyone's ever been in a similar situation, thanks xx
    You can request the leave - that is not an issue at all. The employer has the right to decline the request though.

Just go to your manager's manager. If that is not suitable, find another manager within a similar area to get their thoughts or speak to your HR contact in your Manager's absence. The more notice you give them for the request, the more likely they are to approve it.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with using up your holidays. A lot of people do that on their last week's if it's a situation similar to yours. If there is no replacement for your manager while they're away, you should have been informed who to contact for any enquires instead. If not, try a different manager or some higher up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.